Chase is changing their online protocol & payments

Options
Entered three payments last night to be made by Chase -- one to Chase credit card and two to local vendors. Only the Chase credit card payment would go through. Re-set up the two local vendors (sometimes this helps) and payments still won't go thru (tried last night and again this morning). Is this a Quicken or Chase problem?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Describe "won't go through" in more detail, please.
    Are you trying to make a Quick Pay or a Check Pay payment?
    So that Quicken people can help, please tell us the vendor names.
  • mwblum
    mwblum Member ✭✭
    Options
    I believe I am sending check instructions via Chase (which sometimes moves the money electronically and sometimes sends a paper check). By won't go through, I mean that "send" doesn't change to "sent" in the register.
  • mwblum
    mwblum Member ✭✭
    Options
    One vendor is a landscape company; the other is an electrical company. Both have been paid via Quicken previously.
  • BankingRob
    BankingRob Member
    Options
    Same for me, I can't send payments from my Chase bank account via Quicken, all of a sudden. The only time it works is if I'm sending a payment from my Chase checking account to a Chase credit card. I get an error: OL-301-A
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just to double-check ... have you followed these instructions yet? https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7910969/ol-301-a-from-chase

• Robert Armani
    Robert Armani Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did you get this message?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    And add this announcement to what @Robert Armani posted, here is an announcement on the subject:
    Important Update about Chase Online Bills in Quicken — Quicken

So, you can consider this a permanent change.   @Quicken Kathryn has also stated that they are shooting to change completely over from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect + at the end of September.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bomeyer
    Bomeyer Member ✭✭
    Options
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Bomeyer said:
    New pop up

You got to love the fact that they state that the new connection method is going to be more reliable. 
    Direct Connect with Chase has been working flawlessly for over 25 years.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • elorimer
    elorimer Member ✭✭
    Options
    I've gotten five emails and two popups today about this. Now I have to figure out what "Quick Pay" "Quicken Bill Manager" "Bank Bill Pay" are, and then focus on the fact that some of these have monthly limits. This wasn't on my radar screen except very indirectly as I was thinking whether paying bills within the Chase website wasn't an easier thing to be doing.
  • dc0063
    dc0063 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    As a bank Bill Pay customer, I've questions regarding the Chase change:
    If using the Chase app or site, will payment I make show in the Quicken register when made or when cleared?
    Same question for Quicken Quick Pay and Check Pay. If not, I must change banks once - again.
  • rpgarrett75703
    rpgarrett75703 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since Chase will be discontinuing bill pay through Quicken you will need to make any electronic payments either from the Chase website or mobile app (assuming you don't want to use Quicken's check pay feature). That payment then becomes a transaction. When you do a One Step Update to download your Chase transactions that payment you made should appear as a downloaded transaction in Quicken. If that payment you made (now a downloaded transaction) was for paying the balance of another Quicken account (e.g. credit card account) then you will need to change the category to a "transfer" to the credit card account so that payment appears in your credit card account register which will eventually get matched when you download the transactions for that credit card account. Currently, with Chase bank bill pay this is all done automatically when you make an online payment to your credit card account as part of the account reconciliation process (i.e. after reconciling your credit card account Quicken asks if you want to make an online payment to pay the balance).
  • afcanfield
    afcanfield Member ✭✭
    Options
    Do you know if you put a bill and its amount as a placeholder in your Chase checking account register, and pay the bill on the Chase website, will you be able to match the downloaded transaction with the placeholder transaction?

Since the bill pay from Quicken to Chase isn't working again, I've paid a few bills on the Chase website then downloaded that payment to Quicken, hoping to then do a manual match with the placeholder entry. But it didn't list the placeholder entry as a possible match.

Chase and Quicken have become a nightmare, after many years of use with few problems. I have to wonder WHY!!!???
  • rpgarrett75703
    rpgarrett75703 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What you did should work. I had paid 3 bills yesterday within Quicken using Chase Bill Pay in my regular Quicken file. They appear as electronic payments in my check register. Before I did a One-Step-Update this morning to match those transactions I opened my EWC test file on another computer and manually entered those 3 bill payments. I guess you can view these entries as placeholder transactions as you stated. They do not appear as electronic payments in the EWC test file. So at this point the Ending Balance for my checking account in both files are the same. I then did a One-Step-Update in my regular Quicken file (Direct Connect) and those 3 bill pay transactions matched automatically along with 1 non-Bill Pay transaction. I then did a One-Step-Update in my EWC test file and those 3 bill pay transactions downloaded and matched the placeholder transactions automatically. They did not however appear as electronic payments in the "Check#" field in the register. The field is just empty I assume because EWC does not support Chase Bill Pay. In my regular Quicken file there is a lightning bolt in the "Check#" field indicating an electronic payment where you can also check the status. The non-Bill Pay transaction should download tomorrow. The only difference in my scenario and yours is you paid your bills on the Chase website and I paid mine through Quicken but I don't think that should matter with regards to whether or not the corresponding downloaded transactions will match. It's strange that your placeholder entry wasn't even listed as a possible match. I can't explain that.
This discussion has been closed.