Why are reports not displaying a new category and its data?

LeaningTower
LeaningTower Member ✭✭
edited August 3 in Reports (Windows)
I created a new category to track the monetary value of frequent flier miles as I use them. The new category (Freq Fl Miles) is a sub-category of "Other Income."

I enter the purchase of the tickets in an account under the expense category "Airline", recording the cash value of the ticket as a "Charge" in the account. Then I enter an offsetting transaction in the same account as a "Payment" using the new category.

When I add this new category to reports that I created years ago (and have used ever since), the new category is not showing up. I verified that the new category and the account are included in the report.

Any suggestions?

Answers

  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The implication is a filter being applied other than category and account.  I suggest you review the specified date range and the filters associated with remaining Customize window tabs: open the report and press Alt + C
  • LeaningTower
    LeaningTower Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I did check everything (I think) before posting. The date range is Yearly, current year.
    All Payees selected. All Tags selected. All Category Groups.
    On the Advanced tab: Cleared, Not Cleared and Reconciled are selected. All amounts selected. In "Transaction Types", All transactions is selected. Am I missing anything?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I did check everything (I think) before posting. The date range is Yearly, current year.
    All Payees selected. All Tags selected. All Category Groups.
    On the Advanced tab: Cleared, Not Cleared and Reconciled are selected. All amounts selected. In "Transaction Types", All transactions is selected. Am I missing anything?
    Do not trust the includes all/any option on tabs of the Customize window of a report.  The feature was added relatively recently and does not reliably determine whether all the items are selected. 

    To prevent Quicken from incorrectly defaulting to the all/any option in a Saved report, I suggest unchecking an unhidden item for each tab.
  • LeaningTower
    LeaningTower Member ✭✭
    Are you referring to the radio buttons just under the tabs that say "include transactions with any or no payee/category/tags" and "include only transactions with selected payee/category/tags"?

    If so, I already selected the radio button that only includes selected items and verified that all check boxes are selected. I also tried de-selecting one item in each tab (only items that would not change the report output, ie a tag that is not used), without success.

    I've also rebooted my system a couple of times to see if that would resolve the issue, again, without success.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you create a new report that includes your new Freq Fl Miles Category, does it work correctly?

    When you run the saved report, do you get a prompt that warns that there are new categories? The old report may be locked so it ignores new categories. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a puzzler.  AS A TEST, try setting up a new top-level Income Category for the frequent flier miles and then change the "payment" (in your credit card Account, presumably) to use this new Category and make sure the new Category is selected in the report.  Does the income show up properly?
    If it does, that suggests something in the Sub-Category setup could be causing the problem and might be fixed by a Validation of the data file.  If it doesn't show up that certainly would suggest that some filter is keeping out of the report.  The "payment" itself has the correct date and was mistakenly set up as a payment "a year from now?"
  • LeaningTower
    LeaningTower Member ✭✭
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > If you create a new report that includes your new Freq Fl Miles Category, does it work correctly?
    >
    > When you run the saved report, do you get a prompt that warns that there are new categories? The old report may be locked so it ignores new categories. 

    Yes to both questions. But the new category is not included in the existing report despite the fact that I add it when opening the old report.

    I considered the possibility of creating a new report to resolve the issue. But I am reluctant to do so because I have been using this rreport for years(, with minor changes to include new accounts and categories). It is a useful tool for me to compare current numbers to previous years. If I were to attempt to create a new report, it would be difficult, or at least time consuming, to ensure that the new report matches the current report. If it doesn't match precisely, then its value for historical comparison is lost. For that reason, I am trying to fix this glitch.
  • LeaningTower
    LeaningTower Member ✭✭
    > @Tom Young said:
    > This is a puzzler.  AS A TEST, try setting up a new top-level Income Category for the frequent flier miles and then change the "payment" (in your credit card Account, presumably) to use this new Category and make sure the new Category is selected in the report.  Does the income show up properly?If it does, that suggests something in the Sub-Category setup could be causing the problem and might be fixed by a Validation of the data file.  If it doesn't show up that certainly would suggest that some filter is keeping out of the report.  The "payment" itself has the correct date and was mistakenly set up as a payment "a year from now?"

    I actually did that first. I started debugging when it didn't show up in the report, and quickly realized it should be a sub-category. So I edited the new category, not necessarily thinking that would correct the problem. Bottom line: it doesn't work as a top-level or sub-category.

    Re: the dates. Yes, I double checked that. The dates for the purchase and payment are the same. I entered them as future dated transactions for the date of travel. But I accounted for that by selecting the appropriate time period (yearly, current year). Also tried Custom Dates, Jan 1, 2022 - Dec 31, 2022. No help there either.
  • LeaningTower
    LeaningTower Member ✭✭
    Additional info:
    I tried entering the same transactions and new category into 2 other Quicken files on my computer (exisiting files, not new ones just for testing). Both files also have the same report.

    The new category works in the report in one of those files, but not the other. To the best of my knowledge, I created these reports in both files utilizing the same options. (However, I created them years ago. It is possible that there is some difference.)
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other users have reported similar issues recently with new categories not being included in saved reports, but I have not seen any resolution. For example see this discussion
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20277856#Comment_20277856
    QWin Premier subscription
  • LeaningTower
    LeaningTower Member ✭✭
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > Other users have reported similar issues recently with new categories not being included in saved reports, but I have not seen any resolution. For example see this discussion
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20277856#Comment_20277856

    Any info on when the problem first appeared? ie which release?
This discussion has been closed.