Two Data Files. Do I Need Them Both?

Options
TexMike
TexMike Member ✭✭✭
My Quicken folder files seem jacked up. I have two Data Files. I only use one. Lots of SyncLog and .DAT files. Is my file structure set up correctly? I did not create any of these files/folders. May I delete any? My user name on the screen shot below has been changed to "JOHNDOE" for purposes of this discussion. Note that the upper and lower case for the file/folder names are exactly how these files show. See screen shot.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @TexMike

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community with this question. 

First, I suggest opening the files and making sure that these are files that you no longer want. Then you may delete the files if you so choose to.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I agree with @Quicken Jasmine .  When Quicken is first installed it will set up a default data file with the user's name and "Quicken Data" in the file name.  If you then create a new data file (File > New Quicken File) and name it something else you will then have 2 different data files but only 1 that is being used.  If the one file you are not using does not indeed have any current data in there then you can probably feel pretty safe deleting it (and it's associated files).
    BTW, another way you can confirm whether or not this might be the situation is to add the Date Created and Date Modified columns to Windows Explorer.  My guess is that the file you are thinking of deleting will show as being created and modified when you first installed Quicken.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @TexMike

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community with this question. 

First, I suggest opening the files and making sure that these are files that you no longer want. Then you may delete the files if you so choose to.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I agree with @Quicken Jasmine .  When Quicken is first installed it will set up a default data file with the user's name and "Quicken Data" in the file name.  If you then create a new data file (File > New Quicken File) and name it something else you will then have 2 different data files but only 1 that is being used.  If the one file you are not using does not indeed have any current data in there then you can probably feel pretty safe deleting it (and it's associated files).
    BTW, another way you can confirm whether or not this might be the situation is to add the Date Created and Date Modified columns to Windows Explorer.  My guess is that the file you are thinking of deleting will show as being created and modified when you first installed Quicken.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.