Turn off Check Pay?

Options
JTEBass
JTEBass Member ✭✭
Logged in today and two of my bills are now out of date order and flagged for attention. They have "Check Pay" listed in the action box instead of "Enter". I do NOT want to use Quicken Check Pay at all (why have Quicken mail a paper check days before the due date when my bank makes an EFT the next day?). So I just want to turn that bit off and keep the reminders in date order. How?

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @JTEBass,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

In order to disable Check Pay, please navigate to the Bills & Income tab and click the Gear icon on the top-right, then select Payment Accounts from the dropdown menu (see below).

Then, select the payment account you wish to disable and click Disable (see below).

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HI Anja. Interesting, I now show a default to check pay for new Online Billers but no option as you show:

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bob. said:
    HI Anja. Interesting, I now show a default to check pay for new Online Billers but no option as you show:

If you click the [▾] button next to "Check Pay", what options do you have there?
    @""Quicken Anja" 's suggestion to disable Check Pay entirely seems to be a little harsh to me if you just want to change a single occurrence of an online bill.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As I had posted somewhere, I realize the change to Check Pay was changing the older online bills that said PAY to Check Pay . The only ones that show or showed ENTER for me were manual bills and I had to click the down arrow and select ENTER for online bills, which is how I use online billers.
    So not a big deal.
    But what makes me more curious is why I do not have the options that Anja shows. And I am on 42.8
    To answer your question @UKR, this is what the drop down shows:
    But for me, that is not a concern any longer as I figured out I have never had a default to "Enter" for an Online Bill.
  • JTEBass
    JTEBass Member ✭✭
    Options
    Not at all helpful. There IS NO "Select Payment Account"!
  • JTEBass
    JTEBass Member ✭✭
    Options
    Another screen shot...
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When you go into Edit Account Details / Online Services on your Chase Checking account, what does it say about "Online bill payment"? Is the account enabled for Bank Bill Pay, Quicken Bill Manager or ...?
    Looking at one of the images you sent, you have a menu option in the Action gear icon menu, "Pay Bills with Quicken". I don't have this option. What happens when you click it? Does it walk you through a Bill Manager setup process?
    There's a small icon (looks like a movie screen). Clicking this describes the Bill Manager setup process, something every first time user needs to do.
  • JTEBass
    JTEBass Member ✭✭
    Options
    No, it only gives me the sales pitch for using Quicken Bill Pay. I do NOT want to use it as it's not a value added service. I can pay online through my bank with a one or two day lead time. Bill Pay writes a paper check and needs a five-day lead time. I've been using Quicken for over ten years and the "Check Pay" just appeared this past week.
  • JTEBass
    JTEBass Member ✭✭
    Options
    OK, going to the account details I don't have Chase set up for online bill payments, nor for downloading transactions directly from the bank. And I don't really want that.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks to me like you do not want to use any kind of Online Bill Pay service (bank or Quicken) to pay your bills. You might want to try unlinking all your online billers from your scheduled transaction reminders. That should eliminate the occurrences of Check Pay or Quick Pay on an entry and allow you to Enter your reminders (and pay the bills) the old-fashioned way.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If the online bills have Check Pay payees, I suggest you delete them.
  • T369
    T369 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Also running into this issue... started maybe a few weeks ago but didn't look into it until now. I don't have the Payment Accounts under the dropdown menu and not sure why so I can't disable it.
  • JTEBass
    JTEBass Member ✭✭
    Options
    UKR- I DO want to use my bank's OL Bill pay, just as I have for over 20 years. I do >>NOT<< want to use Quicken's OL bill pay for several reasons. Has noting to do with me maybe being late, it's that I see no reason to use Quicken to have them print and mail a paper check when I can make the OL payment through my bank and it posts to the vendor the next business day, or two. And I want to make this "feature" go away so the bills appear on my bill/payments in the order they're due, not with some being pulled up to the top to draw my attention to this pointless feature.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JTEBass said:
    UKR- I DO want to use my bank's OL Bill pay, just as I have for over 20 years. I do >>NOT<< want to use Quicken's OL bill pay for several reasons. Has noting to do with me maybe being late, it's that I see no reason to use Quicken to have them print and mail a paper check when I can make the OL payment through my bank and it posts to the vendor the next business day, or two. And I want to make this "feature" go away so the bills appear on my bill/payments in the order they're due, not with some being pulled up to the top to draw my attention to this pointless feature.
    In that case you should not set up any Online Billers and not link any reminders to an online biller. That makes Quicken offer the Quick Pay / Check Pay options.
    Keep doing it the old fashioned ("Classic") way instead:
    Use your bank's bill pay system to make payments, or use the billers' websites to set up Autopay, APS, Direct Debit, whatever they call it, to automatically deduct .
    In Quicken use a regular scheduled reminder to record the transaction when you receive notice from the biller about a new bill being available. That'll give you the "Enter" button instead of Quick Pay / Check Pay.

• JTEBass
    JTEBass Member ✭✭
    Options
    OK, that's a work around. Having it set up so Quicken pulled the bill amount and due dates into the bill/income register worked very well until two weeks ago. Sounds like either coders who have no contact with users making decisons, or marketing creating a "feature" that's utterly pointless.
  • HappyBird
    HappyBird Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have the same issue as JTEBass. For the past few weeks, Chase now appears at the top of the Biller list as "Needs Attention" with a default of "Check Pay" instead of "Enter" like all my other credit cards have. I should not have to set up Check Pay or Quick Pay just to get my credit card bill amount automatically downloaded like it used to do!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HappyBird said:
    I have the same issue as JTEBass. For the past few weeks, Chase now appears at the top of the Biller list as "Needs Attention" with a default of "Check Pay" instead of "Enter" like all my other credit cards have. I should not have to set up Check Pay or Quick Pay just to get my credit card bill amount automatically downloaded like it used to do!
    Chase is currently unavailable as an Online Biller, due to being in the middle of a migration.
    Until they come out of it, I would suggest you pay your credit card bill directly at the bank's website. Alternatively, if it's set up, you could use Check Pay to mail a check with payment, giving 10 - 14 days lead time for processing and mailing.
    IMHO, the best solution to this problem would be to authorize Chase to make automatic debits from your checking account for the entire credit card balance (or a fixed monthly amount) on due date. This way your credit card is paid on time, automatically every month, and you don't have to worry about missing or late payments.
This discussion has been closed.