Paypal payments from coupons.com show as "Payment From Paypal Inc." when downloaded

Options
Misterbill
Misterbill Member, Windows Beta Beta
Ever since the recent change in Paypal downloads, payments that I receive from coupons.com (an app that offers rebates for grocery purchases) show up with a Payee name of "Payment From Paypal Inc." Payments from other people/sites show up correctly, although the "Payment from" prefix is really unnecessary. Clearly a description like this is totally useless, and it was not the case prior to the "upgrade". Anyone seeing this for other payees?

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @Misterbill,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

First, I suggest creating a test file and adding the account(s) with which you are receiving the incorrect payee transactions to see if it produces the same error. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to return to your original starting position. Below are instructions on how to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have you looked at Tools / Renaming Rules?
    Is there a renaming rule in effect which creates the undesired payee name?
    If there isn't, creating a renaming rule to change the downloaded payee name to what you want might be in order.
  • Misterbill
    edited July 2022
    Options
    UKR said:
    Have you looked at Tools / Renaming Rules?
    Is there a renaming rule in effect which creates the undesired payee name?
    If there isn't, creating a renaming rule to change the downloaded payee name to what you want might be in order.

As a matter of fact, I did create a renaming rule, and it isn't being used. I.e., it gets accepted as Payment From Paypal Inc. Of course, downloading a transaction with the incorrect payee name seems like a bug that should be fixed.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please try this:
    Switch your account register to 2-lines-per-transaction mode by pressing CTRL-2
    Using the Register Columns icon (in column header row next to Balance column title) add the columns Downloaded Payee Name and Downloaded Memo.
    Now check what is shown in these columns for the coupons.com transaction.
    Must be something different for the rule not to trigger upon download
    Also make sure the Renaming Rule, when you expand it, is defined as "If payee contains" and not "If Quicken name is"
    If you could, please show me image snapshots of both your transaction with the new fields and the renaming rule.
  • Misterbill
    Options
    Hello @Misterbill,

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

OK, I created a new file with just one Paypal account. It no longer says "Payment from" but the name is just "Paypal". 

• Misterbill
    Options
    UKR said:
    Please try this:
    Switch your account register to 2-lines-per-transaction mode by pressing CTRL-2
    Using the Register Columns icon (in column header row next to Balance column title) add the columns Downloaded Payee Name and Downloaded Memo.
    Now check what is shown in these columns for the coupons.com transaction.
    Must be something different for the rule not to trigger upon download
    Also make sure the Renaming Rule, when you expand it, is defined as "If payee contains" and not "If Quicken name is"
    If you could, please show me image snapshots of both your transaction with the new fields and the renaming rule.

No change. And I should not need to have a rename rule to get the payee name correct.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @Misterbill,

Thank you for updating us and for creating a test file. 

Due to the same issue occurring in the test file as within your main file in regards to the Payee name not being detailed. I suggest reaching out to Paypal for more assistance as this would be due to how they are sending the transaction details through their servers to Quicken. It is recommended to request an escalation or to speak with a supervisor as they are generally more familiar with third-party applications such as Quicken. 

I hope this clears things up!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Misterbill
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Hello @Misterbill,

Due to the same issue occurring in the test file as within your main file in regards to the Payee name not being detailed. I suggest reaching out to Paypal for more assistance as this would be due to how they are sending the transaction details through their servers to Quicken. It is recommended to request an escalation or to speak with a supervisor as they are generally more familiar with third-party applications such as Quicken. 

It does not. There is a bug in Quicken which was not there before you changed how you download transactions from PayPal. As for the suggestion of contacting them, that is laughable. It's nearly impossible to contact someone there for issues that are actually their fault. Getting someone to talk to me about a Quicken problem is going to be futile. How about we open a ticket with Quicken, given that I have the test file created already, and let you folks figure it out?

Oh, and I downloaded transactions in Personal Capital, which did not change how they talk to PayPal, and it gets the correct payee name.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Hello @Misterbill,

It does not. There is a bug in Quicken which was not there before you changed how you download transactions from PayPal. As for the suggestion of contacting them, that is laughable. It's nearly impossible to contact someone there for issues that are actually their fault. Getting someone to talk to me about a Quicken problem is going to be futile. How about we open a ticket with Quicken, given that I have the test file created already, and let you folks figure it out?

Oh, and I downloaded transactions in Personal Capital, which did not change how they talk to PayPal, and it gets the correct payee name.
    PayPal supports the Express Web Connect+ connection method.  Unless Intuit is mishandling the data obtained from PayPal using the FDX API, PayPal is responsible for the content of the Downloaded Payee Name and Downloaded Memo fields.  As the other downloaded payees are correct, this is likely only an issue PayPal may address.  If this is the only poorly named payee, I suggest you apply a renaming rule and be done with it.

If you want Quicken Support to raise the issue with Intuit, I suggest you contact Quicken Support: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options
This discussion has been closed.