Performance ----Portfolio Register

Options
Gary R
Gary R Member ✭✭✭
edited September 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I just looked at my performance Year to date and noticed the Beginning amount on 1/1/22 is correct but the ending amount on 7/31/22 is off by over $300,000.  

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2022
    Options
    You're going to have to provide a lot more information if anyone here is going to be able to help you. ;)

For starters, can you share what version of Quicken Mac you are running? [EDIT: From the reply below, you are using Quicken Windows, not Quicken Mac, so the comments below are directionally accurate, but the screens and settings will be different on Quicken Windows.— jacobs]

Next, could you please be specific about what screen you're viewing, and with what settings. In the left sidebar, have you clicked on a single account, or one of the sub-groups like Brokerage or Retirement, or all your investments by clicking Investing? On the right side, you've clicked on the Portfolio tab, correct? and you have the first filter set to "Performance"? Is the second filter set to By Account? By Security?

When you say the 1/1/22 amount is correct but the 7/31/22 amount is not, are you referring to the values in the graph at the top of the screen? (The tables below don't show a beginning and ending value, so that's why I'm guessing you're referring to the graph.)

Next, since July 31 was just yesterday, are you sure you have all your transactions downloaded and security values updated? And you have the "Data as of" date set to 7/31/22?

So next, you'll need to dig into what is off. Are you comparing the value in Quicken to looking at your brokerage account(s) online? If so, you should be able to look by account and by security to see where there's a discrepancy between Quicken and your real-world account(s). Is it in one account? One security? 

Sorry for all the questions, but this is the only way for you — or for any of us here on the forum — to be able to get a handle on what's amiss. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Jacobs--Thanks for replying:
    12/31/21--Actual value is $748,397 when you click on the yellow chart.  This is the correct beginning total and agrees with my portfolio register.  7/30/22 shows Actual value of $685,360.  It should be $375,000.  
    I'm on the latest version 42.21 released today.
    I spent the entire day yesterday and most of the morning correcting my $$$$amounts for dividends and capital gains that I always delete.  I decided that your explanation made more sense than what I was trying to accomplish and had a major project on my hands.  I had to go back to each brokerage account, print all dividends and cap. gains for the last two years.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Ah, okay, you're using Quicken Windows. Your question was posted in the Quicken Mac category, and thus my questions about windows and settings were for Quicken Mac. But they will still be directionally accurate: I'd dig down to look at your taxable versus non-taxable accounts first, or depending how many accounts you have, go account by account. You need to see where the discrepancy lies, and hopefully that will point towards what to check next.

I will flag this for a moderator to move to an appropriate Quicken Windows category so the Windows experts here will be able to help you.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't realize that I posted under Mac.  I'm going to follow your suggestions and see if anything comes up  I have 10 accounts to go through
    Thanks
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Gary R
    To build on what @jacobs recommends, I suggest that at the top of the Investing > Performance page you select All securities and one account at a time, with a date range that ends today.

Click on the gear at the top right of the Accounts bar and make sure it is showing the current and not the ending balance.

Compare the "Actual value" for each account that is shown when you hover over the final data point to the value shown in the Accounts bar to narrow down where the discrepancy is coming from. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Jim----Working on it now
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    OK---Just finished---I have 10 accounts--The beginning balance for the 10 adds up to the corrrect beginning balances on my portfolio register.  
    The Ending numbers for each account ending on 7/30/2022 is way way way off on each account.
    Actually, my beginning and ending numbers are very close for each account.  However, I sold a lot of funds, stocks in the second quarter and ending should be $$375,000.  Actual ending is showing $685,000
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    OH Boy!!!!-I changed my report to include all securities and cash.  Now the Beginning and ending values agree with my portfolio register.  HOWEVER, the 12/31/21 opening balance shows $10,000 and the 7/30/22 balance shows $10,300.  That's impossible!  There is no way in hell that my portfolio is up 3% this year.  I know for a fact that it's down close to 10% per my brokerage accounts and Quicken Performance reports.  
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    So you sold the securities and the proceeds are in cash, still in the same accounts? The Growth of $10,000 calculations should be able to handle that. There are issues with the calculations if you moved cash in or out of the accounts. See this discussion.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7905946/improve-growth-of-10-000-calculation-so-it-does-not-overstate-returns-with-purchases-or-sales#latest
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Jim---I sold securities in some accounts and they were transferred to outside bank accounts.  I had CD's from brick and mortar banks mature and proceeds sent to my brokerage accounts.  I bought Treasury i Bonds that left my brokerage.  I was very active trading first half of this year.  
    I'll take a look at the link you sent
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    OK--Let me try this one more time.  I selected all accounts and all securities and made sure everything was checked off.  My beginning and ending portfolio values agree.  Now here's the problem.  12/31/21 shows $10,000 and 8/2/22 shows ending $6813.  Now there is no way my portfolio went down 32%.

• Jim_Harman
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Try this as an alternative: 
    Go to Reports > Investing > Investment Performance. Set the date range to Yearly and Current year. Make sure all securities and all accounts are selected. 

What does that show for your performance?

This does an annualized IRR calculation, which is normally not useful for periods of less than one year, but extending the period to the end of the year assumes your performance will be flat for the rest of the year.

Please study the discussion I linked earlier to see why your Growth of 10,000 number may be incorrect.
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    The difference between the two columns (Investments and Returns) showed -166,352 with -9.25 Return
    Actually 9.25 looks in line with my Year to date losses 
    However I have not lost $166,352 Year to date.  My loss is closer to $65,000 per brokerage accounts

• Jim_Harman
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Make sure you understand what goes into the Investments and Returns numbers in the Investment Performance Report (IPR) and what is reported in the Portfolio views as "Return".

When you say "per brokerage accounts" is that comparing to brokerage statements or online info, or to data in Quicken? If you are comparing to other Quicken data, which data is that?

You will find that if you enter the data from the IPR into Excel's XIRR function, you will get the same results.

I grouped the IPR and a Portfolio view by Account and found that the difference between Investments and Returns in the IPR matches the Return column in the Portfolio view if there were no sales of securities in the account. The Return column in the Portfolio views appears to be affected by the issue discussed here
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7864889/account-level-amount-invested-and-roi-are-calculated-incorrectly-when-a-security-is-sold/p1

Bottom line is that for me at least, the most useful and reliable performance indicators in Quicken are the Investment Performance Report and the Avg. Annual Return (%)  columns in the Portfolio views, which present the same data as the IPR.

• Jim_Harman
    edited August 2022
    Options
    [edit - corrected formula to get the sign correct!]
    Also, if I set the date range to Yearly / Current year in the IPR and look at
    (Total Returns - Total Investments) / Total investments
    I get a number very close to the Average Annual Return at the bottom of the report. That makes sense for a 1-year period, with the discrepancy explained by the compounding taken into account in the IRR calculation.
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    "Bottom line is that for me at least, the most useful and reliable performance indicators in Quicken are the Investment Performance Report and the Avg. Annual Return (%)  columns in the Portfolio views, which present the same data as the IPR."

I think I will just use your recommendation and forget about the Performance tab on the register.  
    Appreciate your feedback, Jim
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Jim--You may find this amusing and funny:
    I spent half the day with Portfolio manager checking off all the stocks, funds, and ETF's that I wanted to track and get Year to date returns.  I didn't want to include bonds, bond funds, Treasuries, CD's , just equities.  Therefore, I had to go through a few hundred symbols to complete my project.
    My Performance Report that we spoke of previously showed YTD loss of $65,626
    However, now my Portfolio manager with my new column for Return Year to Date only showed a loss of $35,000.  Now I'm really getting pissed and annoyed.  I spent the next hour trying to figure out what the hell is going on and then realized that the gear at the top of the portfolio manager for "Closed Positions" was not checked off.  I checked it off and both reports agree.  I can't believe it!!!!!!!!
    Finally, something agrees----LOL
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    That is interesting. When you say "Portfolio Manger" you mean an Investing > Portfolio view, right?

Including the closed positions fixes some of the discrepancies I saw related to sales. 
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL---Portfolio Manager is my Morningstar portfolio---Yes, I was referring to Portfolio view.
    I have no idea what made me think to click on the gear on the top right, but that did the trick.  I had so many buys and sells that I just lost track of everything.  I still can't believe the numbers agree.
    I think I better quit now while I'm ahead.  Since I had to show all hidden securities, I swear that I must have gone through a few hundred names checking off only the ones needed.
This discussion has been closed.