Using Quicken Web data [to recover Q Mac data file after hardware problem]

Options
Cathy Mack
Cathy Mack Member
My old computer died and I don't have access to the quicken file that was saved by the Quicken App. However, my info is available on Quicken on the Web. Is there a way to download that web file to use in the quicken app?

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hello @Cathy Mack,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

You can create a new data file on the Quicken for Mac desktop program using cloud data by holding the Command key on your keyboard and navigating to File > New. Continue holding the Command key until you see the Let's Get Started window open. In there, you should then see the very last option for Start from Quicken Cloud Account.

Please keep in mind that while this option exists, we do not always recommend it as we have seen issues with this option in the past. If you are able to find and restore a backup file, then we would recommend doing so instead.

I hope this helps! 

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Cathy Mack
    Cathy Mack Member
    Options
    This didn't work. It didn't pull anything in.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Cathy Mack Do you not have any backup of data from your computer anywhere? A Time Machine drive? Other external hard drive? Cloud backup service? (I know the horse has left the barn, but at least for the future, I encourage every computer user to have one or more forms of backup. Backups are essential, because we are all likely to be hit by a failed hard drive or computer at some point.)

As for starting from the Quicken Cloud data, that was never possible in the past, but the hidden option Anja pointed you to was added in the past year. It was never announced as an official new feature, and I've seen posts from other users who tried and failed to import data from Quicken Cloud into a new data file. 

Unfortunately, if the Quicken Cloud option doesn't work, and you have no backups anywhere, then you're pretty much out of luck. I don't know what died on your old computer, but if you still have it in your possession, it's possible there might be ways to pull data from the old hard drive. Whether it's possible depends on myriad factors (spinning hard drive or solid state drive? was it that drive that died or the power supply or other component? is it a Mac where the hard drive can be removed? Even if the hard drive died, there are recovery services which might be able to extract data, but they're very expensive services. All of this is a topic better suited for you to pursue with Apple Support or Apple forums. Best wishes!
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.