Payee also in Memo field

The Payee is also populating the Memo column when downloading transactions using Express Web Connect from Chase Visa. Started Saturday 6 August. Last download on 2 August was without a problem.

Using Quicken Starter for Windows (Version R42.21, Build 27.1.42.21).

Some transactions are memorized, others are not.

Best Answer

  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

    Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and report this issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

    This issue is a bug that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

    Thank you!
    (CTP-4193)

    -Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever is downloaded into the Downloaded Memo field also gets moved into the new register transaction's Memo field unless
    - the downloaded transaction is matched to an existing register transaction and there already is text in the Memo field (anything non-blank will do, e.g. a period . )
    - a memorized transaction is used and already contains Memo text
    - you have enabled a relatively new account - specific option, "Don't update memo when downloading" (see Edit Account Details, Online Services tab)
  • acs2
    acs2 Member ✭✭✭
    Since updating quicken (now have r42.21 Build 271.42.21 Windows 10 Enterprise) everytime I download credit card transactions for all credit card accounts that have been in existence for years both the payee and the memo fields are populated with the payee name. These are not in my memorized transactions.
    Any insight as to why and how to stop the memo field from inappropriately being filled with the payee name?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    acs2 said:
    Since updating quicken (now have r42.21 Build 271.42.21 Windows 10 Enterprise) everytime I download credit card transactions for all credit card accounts that have been in existence for years both the payee and the memo fields are populated with the payee name. These are not in my memorized transactions.
    Any insight as to why and how to stop the memo field from inappropriately being filled with the payee name?
    Please reread my previous answer, especially the last sentence. Try enabling the option I mentioned and see if that solves your issue.

  • ameat
    ameat Member ✭✭
    I am seeing the same behavior as the others. I have not added any new accounts in years or changed any settings. I do not use memorized payees or any kind of automatic renaming, etc.
  • cdennett
    cdennett Member ✭✭✭
    It happened to me on my Capital One Visa account. I also have a Chase Visa and it did not put anything in the memo field. Both accounts have been around for years. I've made no changes. Both accounts did not have the checkbox mentioned above checked. Something changed somewhere but it was not on my end.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm that I have been seeing this behavior in the last few days for the first time, on the EWC+ credit card accounts so far for me.  My downloaded transactions have always had blank memos before and are now populated.  I have not made any changes to my data file or updated the Quicken version.  So something has changed, not on my end.
    Perhaps the institution is now supplying additional data that it didn't before or Quicken/aggregator made a recent change in their EWC process.
    I don't view this as an issue, just something I am not used to.  No big deal however, as I have now enabled the option of "Don't update memo when downloading" as @UKR suggested earlier in his 3rd bullet which may address this if my understanding of that option is correct.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

  • Aaron H
    Aaron H Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > - a memorized transaction is used and already contains Memo text- you have enabled a relatively new account - specific option, "Don't update memo when downloading" (see Edit Account Details, Online Services tab)

    The above-mentioned option does not appear on the account.

    The populated memo field mirroring the Payee is a huge inconvenience - please fix or provide a solution.
  • Aaron H
    Aaron H Member ✭✭
    > @"Aaron H" said:
    > > @UKR said:
    > > - a memorized transaction is used and already contains Memo text- you have enabled a relatively new account - specific option, "Don't update memo when downloading" (see Edit Account Details, Online Services tab)
    >
    > The above-mentioned option does not appear on the account.
    >
    > The populated memo field mirroring the Payee is a huge inconvenience - please fix or provide a solution.

    My apologies, I found the option to not update the memo.

    Thank you
  • Aaron H
    Aaron H Member ✭✭
    > @"Aaron H" said:
    > > @"Aaron H" said:
    > > > @UKR said:
    > > > - a memorized transaction is used and already contains Memo text- you have enabled a relatively new account - specific option, "Don't update memo when downloading" (see Edit Account Details, Online Services tab)
    > >
    > > The above-mentioned option does not appear on the account.
    > >
    > > The populated memo field mirroring the Payee is a huge inconvenience - please fix or provide a solution.
    >
    > My apologies, I found the option to not update the memo.
    >
    > Thank you

    I'm back - although the option is there, it is not working and the memo field continues to be populated with the payee :(
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I mentioned this in another thread, but I will repeat it here.  The memo isn't coming from the download and that is why the option to not use the downloaded memo isn't working.

    If you turn on the Downloaded Memo you can see that it is in fact blank.

    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Chris_QPW said:
    I mentioned this in another thread, but I will repeat it here.  The memo isn't coming from the download and that is why the option to not use the downloaded memo isn't working.

    If you turn on the Downloaded Memo you can see that it is in fact blank.

    @Chris_QPW ,
    In my case the "Downloaded Memo" field is also populated and is an exact match to the Payee and Memo (3 fields with the same data).  And it appears that it started around 8/3 for me.
    I too wrote some observations in a different post and now I can share more data:
    • Enabling the "Don't update memo when downloading" has resolved it for me (Memo field is now blank)
    • This issue is not caused by any specific release of Quicken because for me it happens in my latest version as well as a version I use from many months ago (January I think)
    • In one banking account, ALL of my prior Downloaded Memo and Memo fields are blank, until this started around 8/3.  (Unless I entered something in the Memo field)
    • In another account, I have sporadic entries in the Downloaded Memo field but nothing in the Memo field, until this started
    • It happens only with EWC/EWC+ banking and CC accounts
    • ADDING: In one EWC bank account where the Downloaded Memo is blank, the Memo field is also blank (in my case)
    Clearly there are inconsistent experiences.  Based on these observations my guess is that something changed on the Quicken or aggregator server side of things.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    EDIT: I see that you say it is only in Express Web Connect accounts.  Sorry didn't read all of your comment first.

    @BK if you are talking about Express Web Connect + accounts then it is really screwy that it is different for different users.  Note in my real data file I use Direct Connect and don't have these problems.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Steve Davis
    Steve Davis Member ✭✭
    It seems like this has been happening over a couple of months now unfortunately. Wish I knew exactly when I saw it.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

    Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and report this issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

    This issue is a bug that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

    Thank you!
    (CTP-4193)

    -Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

  • terrybader
    terrybader Member ✭✭
    This is very annoying!
This discussion has been closed.