what is the difference between Quicken Connect and Direct Connect? (Q Mac)

Options
John Woody
John Woody Member
Back in April, I was unable to download transactions from M&T Bank into Quicken. Apparently it was a common problem. I thought I would try to reset the connection. When I did, two options were shown - Direct Connect (which I had been using) and Quicken Connect. The Quicken Connect connection worked and has worked flawlessly ever since. Does anyone know what the difference is between those connection types? Can I cancel Direct Connect with M&T (and save the $3.95 fee) and still download via Quicken Connect? The M&T Bank website only talks about Direct Connect.

Best Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @John Woody,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community with this question. 

I have located a Support Article that discusses the different connection methods in more detail. You may follow this link to access that FAQ. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @John Woody,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

In a nutshell, Quicken Connect means you're using our servers to connect and Direct Connect means you are using the bank's servers to connect. In some cases, Direct Connect also allows you to use Bank Bill Pay through Quicken (though not all financial institutions offer this).

I recommend reviewing this support article for more detailed information about this topic specifically.

In regard to your last question; if you never intend to use Direct Connect, then I'd say it's fine to contact M&T Bank to have Direct Connect canceled on their end to stop being charged for it. However, that is a personal choice.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @John Woody,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community with this question. 

I have located a Support Article that discusses the different connection methods in more detail. You may follow this link to access that FAQ. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @John Woody,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

In a nutshell, Quicken Connect means you're using our servers to connect and Direct Connect means you are using the bank's servers to connect. In some cases, Direct Connect also allows you to use Bank Bill Pay through Quicken (though not all financial institutions offer this).

I recommend reviewing this support article for more detailed information about this topic specifically.

In regard to your last question; if you never intend to use Direct Connect, then I'd say it's fine to contact M&T Bank to have Direct Connect canceled on their end to stop being charged for it. However, that is a personal choice.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.