Chase - How to merge new registers with old for same account

Options
I followed the steps to log into Chase; and Quicken set up a new set of Chase registers for the same accounts. How do I merge these with my old registers? Or do I delete these accounts and wait until Quicken and Chase fix this so that I do not have two registers for the same account? I am using Quicken Home, Business and Rental Property Version R43.14; Build 27.1.43.14 with Windows 11. I have been a Quicken user for 32 years and one of these accounts goes back to 1990.

Best Answers

• Mikail
    Mikail Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I spent almost two hours on the phone with support. Loaded a backup, deactivated the online connections. Added Chase and linked accounts. I was told that this is currently the number 1 reason for service calls.
  • ColoradoDave
    ColoradoDave Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I followed the FAQ - Moving Transactions instructions in splasher's August 29 answer to move all transactions from my prior Chase account to the new Chase account - and it worked. All I had to do then was to set up the account register appearance to my liking (2-line register, etc).

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Mikail - Why did you reject @splasher 's response?  You asked how to merge accounts and moving transactions from one account to the other is the way to do that.  Or are we misunderstanding what you are wanting to accomplish?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Mikail
    Mikail Member ✭✭
    Options
    I guess I could attempt to move the 50,000-100,000 transactions from my old registers to the new ones and delete the old ones, but I am not sure what it would do with the 100s of duplicates and that everything would be properly moved. I would rather delete the new registers and redo the connection process in a way that used the registers that I have already had established.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, if you don't want to move the transactions then you cannot merge the accounts.  Your only other option that i can see is to do what you would rather do and see how that goes.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Mikail
    Mikail Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Bootnmaniac and @splasher: Do either of you have first hand experience updating Chase accounts to the new interface?
  • Mikail
    Mikail Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I spent almost two hours on the phone with support. Loaded a backup, deactivated the online connections. Added Chase and linked accounts. I was told that this is currently the number 1 reason for service calls.
  • ColoradoDave
    ColoradoDave Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I followed the FAQ - Moving Transactions instructions in splasher's August 29 answer to move all transactions from my prior Chase account to the new Chase account - and it worked. All I had to do then was to set up the account register appearance to my liking (2-line register, etc).
  • JerryG
    JerryG Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am having the same issue. I have not figured out how to resolve the issue BUY i am now backing up my data manually with a date and time stamp. I am going to try to move my transactions to the new account but am worried about how quicken will handle all the interactions between my various account. My recommendation is BACKUP frequently and experiment. I expected a better transition from Quicken
  • nancummins
    nancummins Member ✭✭
    Options
    Because my old accounts have more detailed info, I would like to leave those 'as is.' Then go to new accounts and remove the downloaded transactions in the new accounts that duplicate those in the old accounts, continuing to work in the new accounts and receiving new downloads in the new accounts. Use the cutoff date of the last statement, and make sure all transactions on the statement are in my old accounts. There will be some cleanup in the small area of overlap, but it will get rid of the duplicates without removing categories, memos, tax info, attachments, etc. I think I will then be able to print reports that will pull from both old and new accounts to create tax summaries, spending reports, etc. I will also need to reformat the "account register appearance to my liking"--thanks for the reminder. This has been a nightmare for me! Do you think this will work?
  • Mikail
    Mikail Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    The only problem I had with disconnecting and reconnecting my accounts is that the Quicken balance was way off. On the first Reconciliation, when the difference for each of the three accounts was exactly what I calculated it should be, I just clicked Done and adjusted the balance. The old accounts have the new connection and have been working perfectly and the balances now match as they should.
  • Bethel$2409
    Options
    I can't find the FAQ referred to above. Same problem of having two chase accounts with same info. But one is the original.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't find the FAQ referred to above. Same problem of having two chase accounts with same info. But one is the original.
    Hello @Bethel$2409

I am sorry for any confusion caused by earlier comments. Thank you for checking in with us here on the Quicken Community.

I believe @ColoradoDave was referring to the FAQ linked here, perhaps being linked by @splasher in another thread. 

Let us know if that helps. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Genecole
    Genecole Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options
    I did what Mikail suggested on August 30: "Loaded a backup, deactivated the online connections. Added Chase and linked accounts." It is critical that you deactivate the account. When you deactivate account, the program seems to hang up (takes forever to get the "ok." I kept on resetting or restarting Windows to deal with this hangup.
This discussion has been closed.