Why does changing connection method (for downloading) compromise the credit card account data?

Jay2456
Jay2456 Member ✭✭
When I change from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect for an AMEX card to address a Quicken pop-up notification, the data in the AMEX account becomes compromised. Some the category descriptions disappear, and the balance changes because of unknown historical transactions. My VPN is off. The notification reads:" accounts are not enabled correctly and need to be deactivated and reactivated..."

Answers

  • Hello @Jay2456,

    Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

    If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error message you described receiving? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.  


    I am looking forward to hearing your response.

    -Quicken Jasmine
  • Jay2456
    Jay2456 Member ✭✭
    Attached is screenshot per your request. This message pops up when I hit the 'Update' button to download all financial transactions.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    edited September 11
    Jay2456 said:
    Attached is screenshot per your request. This message pops up when I hit the 'Update' button to download all financial transactions.
    Hello @Jay2456

    I do apologize about this issue with online banking services. Thank you for mentioning this problem here on the Quicken Community. 

    What steps did you take when changing your account connection method? Were the instructions here followed in order? Also, have you been prompted to authorize your accounts via your online banking profile with American Express? It may be necessary to search the American Express website for any additional guidance about linking your accounts, or any options regarding third-party application permissions. 

    Lastly, you could save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. 

    Try adding your American Express account(s) in this test file by navigating to the Add Account button denoted by the '+' symbol in the upper left-hand side of the screen. I want to know if you see this message appearing the new data file.

    I hope to hear more about your results. 

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 
  • Jay2456
    Jay2456 Member ✭✭
    I tried this approach you are recommending. I set up New Quicken File and then added my AMEX account. I did NOT get the pop up message indicating my AMEX account was not enabled correctly, however, I noticed that the new AMEX account was set up for Direct Connect rather than Web Express Connect. I thought the Direct Connect method is being discouraged. By the way, my wife has an AMEX account as well and the connection method to her account is Web Express Connect.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    edited September 13
    Jay2456 said:
    I tried this approach you are recommending. I set up New Quicken File and then added my AMEX account. I did NOT get the pop up message indicating my AMEX account was not enabled correctly, however, I noticed that the new AMEX account was set up for Direct Connect rather than Web Express Connect. I thought the Direct Connect method is being discouraged. By the way, my wife has an AMEX account as well and the connection method to her account is Web Express Connect.
    Hello @Jay2456

    I appreciate you taking the opportunity to get back to me about this. I do apologize this issue is continuing.

    Have you received notifications or other correspondence from American Express regarding the Direct Connect method? Also, what happens when you attempt to add or link your accounts with Express Web Connect in the test data file (be sure to save a backup first)?

    I look forward to your answers.

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 
  • Jay2456
    Jay2456 Member ✭✭
    Quicken Jared, I have not received any notifications from AMEX about the connection method for either of our two accounts. I tried changing the connection method in the test data file to Express Web Connect with no issues. So I decided to try it again on my main data file but my AMEX account was compromised during the conversion. I ended up with a positive balance on my account of several thousand dollars and I only wish that were true! I scanned the transactions in the account going back 18 months and could find no bogus entries that would distort the balance.

    Thanks for your help.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    Jay2456 said:
    Quicken Jared, I have not received any notifications from AMEX about the connection method for either of our two accounts. I tried changing the connection method in the test data file to Express Web Connect with no issues. So I decided to try it again on my main data file but my AMEX account was compromised during the conversion. I ended up with a positive balance on my account of several thousand dollars and I only wish that were true! I scanned the transactions in the account going back 18 months and could find no bogus entries that would distort the balance.

    Thanks for your help.
    Hello @Jay2456,    

    Thanks for answering those questions I had about the situation, as it stands. I am sorry that this problem is ongoing, and for these emerging issues with strange balance amounts.
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

    If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following:

    1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    Let us know how this works!

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 
  • Jay2456
    Jay2456 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for all your help, Quicken Jared, but the Validate process actually made matters worse! It dredged up transactions from closed accounts and entered into my checking account register. It entered formally scheduled transactions in an existing checking account that had been changed to a new checking account. So I have decided to balance my AMEX account (now with the Express Web Connection) with a correcting (but bogus) entry and bury the transaction in a closed account that wont affect my overall balances.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    Jay2456 said:
    Thanks for all your help, Quicken Jared, but the Validate process actually made matters worse! It dredged up transactions from closed accounts and entered into my checking account register. It entered formally scheduled transactions in an existing checking account that had been changed to a new checking account. So I have decided to balance my AMEX account (now with the Express Web Connection) with a correcting (but bogus) entry and bury the transaction in a closed account that wont affect my overall balances.
    Hello @Jay2456

    Thanks for getting back to me about that. I am sorry about these emerging issues with scheduled transactions.

    Where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that the data file is located on your computer, and not on an external drive or cloud-based storage service, as these locations can cause erratic program behavior and even data damage.

    I hope this helps. 

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared