Quicken Mac not saving quick fill rules and more

jkhl95
jkhl95 Member ✭✭
When new transactions are downloaded from my Citi account, previously-saved quick fill transactions are not remembered (e.g., "Groceries" from a store I visit nearly every day). Furthermore, and more frustrating, many (from 3 to 10) previously downloaded transactions will revert back to "uncategorized" when the Citi account update is finished. What's going on here? I do not use mobile web and that sync is OFF.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    jkhl95 said:
    When new transactions are downloaded from my Citi account, previously-saved quick fill transactions are not remembered (e.g., "Groceries" from a store I visit nearly every day). Furthermore, and more frustrating, many (from 3 to 10) previously downloaded transactions will revert back to "uncategorized" when the Citi account update is finished. What's going on here? I do not use mobile web and that sync is OFF.
    Hello @jkhI95

I am sorry to hear about this problem with missing transaction information. Thank you for discussing this with us here on the Quicken Community.

It would help us to troubleshoot the situation if you could save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open and then create a new 'test' data file by following the steps listed below:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select New
    3. Select Start from scratch, click Next
    4. Choose appropriate default categories based on geographic location, click Next
    5. Choose Don't use Quicken Mobile & Web, click Next 

You may then add your Citi affiliated accounts in the newly created data file by navigating to the Add Account button denoted by the '+' symbol in the upper left-hand side of the screen, and then choosing your financial institution and entering your credentials as prompted. I am curious whether or not these issues continue in this data file. 

I hope to hear back from you about your results.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • jkhl95
    jkhl95 Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Jared, for the troubleshooting tips. I did exactly as you proposed and ran this for one week. The new 'test' file does not have any problem saving quick-fill rules and does not revert changed transaction categories back to "uncategorized." My old, original data file still behaves erratically. I would like to point out that most of my transaction categories are custom (I have been using Quicken since 1996 and have used these categories for decades now).

When a transaction is downloaded from Citi, it automatically is assigned 'uncategorized', despite having set up a rule for it. I then change the transaction category. The next day--at the end of the update cycle--the previous day's downloads revert back to 'uncategorized'. I change them again and there are no further issues with any of those transactions. This is only for Citi.

Not the end of the world, but certainly puzzling. This has been happening for about two months.
  • Hello @jkhl95,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue and confirming the results in the test file, though I apologize for the issue experienced in your original file.

Do you have a backup you can restore? I suggest restoring a backup file saved prior to when the issue started to see if the same issue occurs in the restored file. If needed, please, review this support article. Scroll down and open the blue dropdown section(s) titled Restore Quicken data and/or Restore an automatic backup for instructions on how to restore a backup.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @jkhl95 It sounds to me like there might be a problem with data from Quicken Cloud overwriting data in your local data file. First, go to Preferences > Mobile, Web & Alerts and turn OFF Sync if it is currently on. Then go to Preferences > Connected Services and click the Reset button to get rid of your existing Quicken Cloud data file. It will create a new Cloud file, but the new Cloud file won't contain any of your transactions or login credentials, so there will be nothing in the Quicken Cloud to potentially interact with your local data. See if this makes a difference. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jkhl95
    jkhl95 Member ✭✭
    @jacobs I did as you suggested and downloaded transactions for a week to test. So far there have been no issues with not remembering transaction rules and, more importantly, saved transactions do not revert back to "uncategorized" the next day after updating.
    For the record, I did not have Sync turned on at any time.
    Thank you all for your help and I hope this is the solution for this issue.