Report Printing Issue

Yves Beaupré
Yves Beaupré Member ✭✭
edited October 2022 in Reports (Windows)
Hi,

I have created an Investment report with the following column's:
Date, Account, Action, Security, Symbol & Category. This report shows perfectly on my screen. However when I print it many columns are choped on paper. My monitor is a Dell 2420 with a resolution 2560 X 1440.

How can I fix this printing issue?

Thanks

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Are you printing on 8.5*11" paper?
    Can your printer print on larger paper, e.g., 8.5*14" Legal or 11*17"?
    Portrait mode or Landscape mode?
    What font and font size are you using when printing the report (e.g.: Header Font: Arial regular, 12 pt; Body Font: Arial regular, 9 pt.)
    Are some columns excessively wide?

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    This sounds like an Investment Transaction Report with all columns to the right of "Category" eliminated.  I assume that's the case, and that you've adjusted column width such that everything under the column is entirely readable?
    When I do that I too see the report perfectly on the screen but the last column of Category prints on the next page.  This is with Ariel fonts at 12 and 9 points.  I have some fairly long Account names (that also show up under the Category column for transfers), so I can only get this to print if I squeeze down the Account and Category columns quite a bit.
    I'd advise printing in landscape.  More pages but all columns show up on one page.
  • Hi guys and thanks for your quick response,

Let me start by telling you I have partially solved by problem by decrease the fonts values to 9 for the Header and 8 for the body. I also removed the columns that are useless for what I am trying to achieve. Nevertheless the problem is still present. See the attached files for a better understanding.

Hence, my screen displays complete descriptions of my columns but when I print that report I have part of the description missing. I see 3 dots (...) for the missing part.

My printer takes 8.5*11. It can print 8.5*14 but I currently don't have that paper size handy. The report is printed in landscape and as said i have reduced the fonts size.

Can you help?

Thanks
  • Sorry, I don't know how to edit my previous post. Here are my screen shots.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the images.
    I don't know if there's anything you can do to make it print without truncating some columns. The printing process seems to think it must truncate some columns despite them showing wide enough on your report view on screen.
    I've said it for several years already: The entire report generator process needs a thorough overhaul, but so far nothing much has happened.
    Do you know your way around Excel? If so, you can try to export the report to Excel and see if it will print better using Excel.
    Sorry I couldn't help.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about "margins" on the printed piece?  Have you made those margins as narrow as possible in Quicken?  Looking at the screen shot it *looks" like you might have some more room to squeeze those column widths.  When I'm really pushing it I'll try to get those columns so narrow that one more pixel of narrowing will result in the elipsis points.
  • Hi guys,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

First I want to indicate that my margins report are at their minimum default values.

Second, about the truncated colomns, I want to indicate I can live with the bug since it provides enough details to allow me to work.

The ideal would be a colmun width to correspond to what I see on my screen.

In the mean time, I will have to wait for a report generator overhaul.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Regards
This discussion has been closed.