Discover Bank Connection Method Changed - Now Missing Account

Options
BarryMo
BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
I did the transition from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect and in the list of accounts that Quicken exposes from Discover, it is missing my IRA.

Since Quicken support always seems to blame corrupt data, I replicated this in a new file.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BarryMo said:
    I did the transition from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect and in the list of accounts that Quicken exposes from Discover, it is missing my IRA.

Since Quicken support always seems to blame corrupt data, I replicated this in a new file.

Hello @BarryMo,    

I am sorry to hear about this problem with missing accounts when trying to connect to online banking services. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community.

At this point, if you are noticing this issue across multiple data files, I recommend reaching out to Discover support. It can often be most beneficial to request to speak with a 'Tier 2' representative or escalations team when doing so, as these individuals are more likely to possess knowledge of third-party software, such as Quicken. 

I hope that is helpful, and feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Discover says to contact Quicken
  • Xian
    Xian Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same problem here. Discover credit card links OK; Discover IRA not even listed for linking.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's unclear to me why Quicken went through the "Reauthorize" process as that process would seem to only apply to the EWC+ downloading protocol.  (With EWC+ the reauthorize process serves to create a "token" that's used to log into your account - making the downloading process more secure - but Discover chose to simply use the old EWC method, saving itself some money.)
    Discover card has always supported both Direct Connect and EWC downloading methods, so I'd be tempted to simply go to that Quicken IRA Account, bring up Account Details, click on the Online Services tab, and try going through the "Change connection method" process to see if that works, AFTER making a backup of my data file, of course.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Xian said:
    Discover IRA not even listed for linking.
    Was it setup for downloading in the past?

If it was, it would have been with Direct Connect, which they say they dropped.
    Some financial institutions have gone from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect + for investment accounts, but I haven't heard one way or another if this is true for Discover.  If they haven't that might mean that you can no longer download your IRA account.  We do know that for non investment accounts it is going to be Express Web Connect only, Express Web Connect + isn't supported.  Note in theory some investment accounts were supported with just Express Web Connect because there were listings for it in the financial institution list, but in practice I have never seen any user state that they had such an account setup.

Tom Young said:
    It's unclear to me why Quicken went through the "Reauthorize" process as that process would seem to only apply to the EWC+ downloading protocol.  (With EWC+ the reauthorize process serves to create a "token" that's used to log into your account - making the downloading process more secure - but Discover chose to simply use the old EWC method, saving itself some money.)
    Discover card has always supported both Direct Connect and EWC downloading methods, so I'd be tempted to simply go to that Quicken IRA Account, bring up Account Details, click on the Online Services tab, and try going through the "Change connection method" process to see if that works, AFTER making a backup of my data file, of course.

@Quicken Jared, @Quicken Kathryn can you please look into what is and isn't going to be supported for investment accounts?

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    My IRA is set up as a bank account and like I said before, it worked before they changed the connection method to Express Web Connect.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As far as I know, Discover only offers IRA CDs and Savings accounts, natively, so I'd think they'd work just fine (as fine as EWC generally works) with EWC.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks guys.  That makes sense.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    Hello @BarryMo,   

I do apologize if this issue remains ongoing. Thanks for providing so much information about what is happening.

If you get the chance to check back in with us, had you deactivated each of your Discover accounts when reconnecting under the Express Web Connect method? Had you also clicked on the Reauthorize option when it appeared? Let us know what steps were taken, specifically, when changing connection methods, and what the specific names (without account numbers or other personal information included) of the accounts involved would be.

I look forward to hearing back from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • John Simpson
    Options
    Same issues - Discover IRA CD's not available for linking.
  • BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @BarryMo,   
    >
    > I do apologize if this issue remains ongoing. Thanks for providing so much information about what is happening.
    >
    > If you get the chance to check back in with us, had you deactivated each of your Discover accounts when reconnecting under the Express Web Connect method? Had you also clicked on the Reauthorize option when it appeared? Let us know what steps were taken, specifically, when changing connection methods, and what the specific names (without account numbers or other personal information included) of the accounts involved would be.
    >
    > I look forward to hearing back from you about this. 
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

This is the exact approach I tried. Keep in mind, I also tried this on a brand new Quicken file and the IRA CD would not show up in the list of Discover accounts.
  • John Simpson
    Options
    My normal CD links fine, along with checking and savings. It is just the IRA CDs that are missing.
  • BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken Jared

Any updates?
  • BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken_Tyka

Any updates?
  • BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Discover says they do not support Quicken anymore.

I can totally understand your desire to use Quicken with your Discover Bank account. We are currently no longer compatible with Quicken our apologies for this inconvenience in advance. I will ensure to forward your feedback regarding this matter. Thanks! *Malina
  • jrett55
    jrett55 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I also have the same problem with my IRA account. My Savings account and Credit Card account link with Quicken fine. I called Discover and was told the same thing, that Discover no longer will be able to connect to Quicken or Quickbooks.
  • BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    It is clearly not true given that they need to permit Express Web Connect, but you can't seem to reason with them. They are very polite but unwilling to listen.
  • desjardins.jay
    Options
    All 3 of my Discover accounts (credit card, checking, and savings) quit updating in late September. When I deactivate all of them and start over, my accounts are found and linked; but, transactions never download. I am using Express Web Connect and the latest version of Quicken for Windows (44.27). I used to get update errors in the online update summary asking me to "fix" them; but, those errors have disappeared and Discover is not even listed in the online update summary even though it is still checked in my update settings.
  • Quicken Jared
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Hello everyone, 

I am sorry to hear about these issues with online banking services. Thank you for looking to the Quicken Community for additional information.

Please note that there is currently an Open Alert regarding Discover accounts and missing options to link these accounts that can be found here. Any additional information or future updates pertaining to this issue will be provided there. 

@desjardins.jay,  

I am sorry to hear about these issues with missing transactions. Thanks for alerting us to this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, take a look at the Support Article linked here, specifically the section entitled If this is the first time this has happened. Do any of those situations seem to apply, and do any of the corresponding steps seem to resolve the issue? If not, take a look at the section entitled If this issue occurs frequently.

Let us know more about this, if you can. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.