Quicken 2017 Default Database File

Options
TimW43
TimW43 Member ✭✭
I understand that the 2017 software is no longer supported. but since I don't do any online transactions it still works fine for me.

However, I work with 2 different database files, and I can't get Quicken to open with the one I want when launching. Where does the program "remember" the file location? I guess I could create a shortcut to the file on my desktop, but there must be an easier way. Thanks!

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken is coded to open the last data file you had open.
    There isn't a "default data file".  If you want to open a given data file you should create a shortcut to it.
    If Quicken isn't opening the last data file you opened, then maybe something like Windows Ransomware protection is preventing Quicken from updating its configuration files.

Here is where it stores the information about what data files it has opened:
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\config\QUSER.INI
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    If you are talking about Quicken not already running and want to have Quicken launch with a specific data file, then creating the shortcuts on your desktop might be your best option.  All it then takes is a double click on the shortcut of the file you want to have opened.
    If, however, you have Quicken open already and simply want to switch to the other data file:  Click on File in the upper left corner of Quicken and at the bottom of the menu will be listed up to the last 4 data files you accessed.  Just click on the one you want to switch to and it will open.
    Does this answer your question?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If Quicken does not remember the last used data file name

• Make sure that the data file name does NOT have a blank space at the end of the name portion, e.g. QDATA_.QDF (where the underscore represents a blank space). Using Windows File Explorer this may be difficult to see unless you have File Explorer configured to View / Show File Extensions. Only then will a trailing space show up clearly
    • Check to ensure that the file QUSER.INI  in
      C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\Config
      (or C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\Quicken\Config in older Quicken versions)
      is not set to Read Only. Your Windows User Account must have proper Windows security access to this file and all subfolders and folders above it, all the way up to the root directory.
      This file contains the list of recently used file names.
    • Check if Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
      If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken is coded to open the last data file you had open.
    There isn't a "default data file".  If you want to open a given data file you should create a shortcut to it.
    If Quicken isn't opening the last data file you opened, then maybe something like Windows Ransomware protection is preventing Quicken from updating its configuration files.

Here is where it stores the information about what data files it has opened:
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\config\QUSER.INI
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    If you are talking about Quicken not already running and want to have Quicken launch with a specific data file, then creating the shortcuts on your desktop might be your best option.  All it then takes is a double click on the shortcut of the file you want to have opened.
    If, however, you have Quicken open already and simply want to switch to the other data file:  Click on File in the upper left corner of Quicken and at the bottom of the menu will be listed up to the last 4 data files you accessed.  Just click on the one you want to switch to and it will open.
    Does this answer your question?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• TimW43
    TimW43 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks. I finally resorted to placing a short cut to the database file to fix the problem.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If Quicken does not remember the last used data file name

• Make sure that the data file name does NOT have a blank space at the end of the name portion, e.g. QDATA_.QDF (where the underscore represents a blank space). Using Windows File Explorer this may be difficult to see unless you have File Explorer configured to View / Show File Extensions. Only then will a trailing space show up clearly
    • Check to ensure that the file QUSER.INI  in
      C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\Config
      (or C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\Quicken\Config in older Quicken versions)
      is not set to Read Only. Your Windows User Account must have proper Windows security access to this file and all subfolders and folders above it, all the way up to the root directory.
      This file contains the list of recently used file names.
    • Check if Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
      If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access
This discussion has been closed.