Income and Expense by Category - extra categories keep getting added?!

Options
jcollins677
jcollins677 Member ✭✭
edited November 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I've created an Income and Expense by Category report over and over again. It looks great and I save it. The next time I open Quicken and look at the report, it will include an extra category that I didn't select on the original report. No matter what I do, I cannot remove that extra category. I have to delete the report and re-create it. This has happened over and over again. Any ideas of why this keeps happening?

I'm on Windows R44.28. Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When we customize a report and save it the default location for saving it is in "My Saved Reports & Graphs."  To open that same report, again, we need to go to "My Saved Reports & Graphs" in the Reports menu and select it from there.
    If, instead we go to "Reports & Graphs Center" and we select the report from there or from the list of reports shown in the Reports menu (excluding those shown in "My Saved Reports & Graphs") we will be opening the default reports with no customization having been done.
    I suspect that you have been opening the default reports instead of the customized reports.  Let me know if that is not the case.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• jcollins677
    jcollins677 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Boatnmaniac Thank you for your reply, but that is not the case. The report is a custom version with just 1 category selected under Income and 1 category selected under Expense (bringing with it 4 sub-categories for that Expense). The report is rather simple, but perfect when I first create it. I save it as a custom report. I'll close Quicken. The next time I open Quicken and go to the same custom report that was perfect the last time, it now has a random Expense category added onto the report. I edit the report, try to remove this erroneous Expense category, but it won't go away. The only remedy is to delete the report and rebuild it. I've never seen anything like this before. I've been using Quicken for ~20 years! I made sure that I had the most recent build to rule out any updates or bugs. There's just something wonky going on over and over.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd suggest a File Validation and Repair may be appropriate.  I'd create a backup first, just in case.  I'd do the File Validation after creating the desired report, but that may or may not be best.  
  • jcollins677
    jcollins677 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @q_lurker Thanks! I'll try that and see how the report performs.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your customized report showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

This discussion has been closed.