Why is Quicken uploading my attachments to the cloud?

Options
Rx
Rx Member ✭✭✭
I have cloud sync turned off (in fact I've never turned it on). Nonetheless, starting around October 24, Quicken began uploading receipts I attach to the cloud. I've been going through and removing them from the cloud, but WHY is this even happening and happening when Preference/Mobile & Web Sync is OFF?

I've seen other threads on this topic, but all the recent ones are closed. Quicken SHOULD NOT be uploading my data without my permission!

Answers

• Andy#
    Andy# Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I see the same issue, it feels like Quicken is stealing my information and uploading it to their [Removed - Language] cloud. You have to stop uploading attachments, I have not enabled Cloud sync and I have not authorized you to look at my attachments!
  • Rx
    Rx Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Hmm, first Quicken isn't delivering services we pay for (unreliable QuickPay and CheckPay), and now they are uploading documents when they have be told not to do so (Web Sync OFF). Since asking nicely and reporting bugs isn't working, maybe it's time to complain to my State AG. if you're in California, the new privacy laws there would probably give such complaints a lot more heft...
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Rx said:
    I have cloud sync turned off (in fact I've never turned it on). Nonetheless, starting around October 24, Quicken began uploading receipts I attach to the cloud. I've been going through and removing them from the cloud, but WHY is this even happening and happening when Preference/Mobile & Web Sync is OFF?
    I'm confused by the term "cloud" -
    So - you have Quicken Cloud turned OFF - as shown here ....
    --Edit - Preferences - Mobile & Web [OFF] - also this entry - Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
    then what do you mean ... receipts I attach to the cloud. I've been going through and removing them from the cloud

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Ps56k2 attach something to a transaction and it visibly uploads to the cloud while you watch. Try it.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rocket J Squirrel said: @Ps56k2 attach something to a transaction and it visibly uploads to the cloud while you watch.
    tried on my R43.26 - Sync is OFF - attached to existing transaction - ... nothing -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rx
    Rx Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    @Ps56k2: I see the exact same behavior as @Rocket J Squirrel. I’m running Quicken home business and rental on a 64 bit Windows 10 machine. I’m running whatever the latest releases. (updated in the last day or two). Not in front of my computer, so I can’t tell you what that is a present.

As for what I mean: I use the paper clip or drag and drop an attachment, and it’s now attached to the transaction. If I click on the paper clip, I see a cloud icon, filled in, and on transactions where I had an older receipt and a recently added receipt, only the newer receipt was uploaded to the cloud. I have to individually click on each cloud icon, and tell Quicken to delete it from the cloud. make sense? Worst: there is no way to search for attachments. I have to scroll through my registers and click on each paper clip to figure out what’s been uploaded and clean that up. A privacy, violation and major pain in the backside.

Good news it’s not happening to you though.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ps56k2 said:
    tried on my R43.26 - Sync is OFF - attached to existing transaction - ... nothing -
    Update to R45.7 and you'll see it. If you dare.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here are some things to clarify the situation.

Since about a year ago, Express Web Connect put the Quicken Cloud dataset into its flow, which means that sync to the Quicken Cloud dataset is how they now get the download transactions into the Quicken Desktop data file.  Ever since that time attachments have been syncing to the Quicken Cloud data set along with the transactions.  See this:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7882641/qcs-express-web-connect-is-cloud-sync

So, if your account is Express Web Connect/Express Web Connect + this is definitely going to be happening even on the older versions of Quicken.

Now R45.7 added the new feature that you can Drag and Drop attachment on transactions to attach them.
    This new feature adds the attachment to both the data file and uploads it to the Quicken Cloud dataset even if the account connection type is Direct Connect/Web Connect or a manual entry account.

On the other hand, if you use the old method where you click on the paperclip icon in the register and then select Add -> Add file... it will only attach it to the Desktop data file (for non-Express Web Connect (+) accounts, which will sync it to the Quicken Cloud dataset).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rx
    Rx Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Chris_QPW - just because it's been happening for a while does not mean it isn't a bug. In the example you gave, the One Step Update settings showed Sync to Quicken Cloud unchecked. Quicken needs to honor these preferences! 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rx said:
    @Chris_QPW - just because it's been happening for a while does not mean it isn't a bug. In the example you gave, the One Step Update settings showed Sync to Quicken Cloud unchecked. Quicken needs to honor these preferences! 
    I'm not condoning it at all, just reporting the situation.  And I will note that I and others posted quite a bit that it shouldn't be syncing attachments to the Quicken Cloud dataset just because the connection type is Express Web Connect.  Those posts unfortunately didn't get them to change/fix it.  Hopefully it will be changed at this point.
    Signature:
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    On the other hand, if you use the old method where you click on the paperclip icon in the register and then select Add -> Add file... it will only attach it to the Desktop data file (for non-Express Web Connect (+) accounts, which will sync it to the Quicken Cloud dataset).
     @Chris_QPW, Are you saying that for EWC/+ accounts, it will always attach it to the cloud dataset no matter which method we use?
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BK said:
    Chris_QPW said:
     @Chris_QPW, Are you saying that for EWC/+ accounts, it will always attach it to the cloud dataset no matter which method we use?
    That is correct.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.