Uncategorized Transaction error

Options
vgburke85
vgburke85 Member ✭✭
Quicken says I have an uncategorized transaction, but when I click on that there is nothing listed. How do I fix this?

Best Answer

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    did you run a validate and repair? 
  • vgburke85
    vgburke85 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I did. It's still there.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WHERE is Q saying this?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• ToddK
    ToddK Member ✭✭
    Options
    Having the same issue. I tracked it down to a split transaction for my wife's paycheck. She maxed out her 401(k) contributions so the line item is $0.00. For some reason Quicken _removes_ the destination account [her 401(k)] and then complains that there are "uncategorized transactions" on the "My Money" home screen.

I know I can remove those lines in the split, but I shouldn't have to. Quicken should still retain the destination account even if the dollar amount is $0.00.
  • vgburke85
    vgburke85 Member ✭✭
    Options
    It's on the "main view" of the home screen. Now it says there are 2 uncategorized transactions. When I click on it, there's nothing there.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @vgburke85 - by chance, when you click on either of the transactions are you taken to a split transaction that has a blank line? there is 'nothing there', but what is there is a blank line.... for example, I have these transactions (from a payckeck), where i user lines 1-2 and lines 4-10.  Line 3 is blank. THAT shows up on the Home screen as an 'uncategorized transaction'.... is that the phenomenon you are experiencing? 
  • billgregoryjr
    billgregoryjr Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I am seeing exactly the same thing but when I click on the Uncategorized Transaction, nothing happens. I have checked all my splits for Paychecks focusing on the 401(k) transactions and nothing appears to be the issue, and each of them has a corresponding account. I have performed Validate and Repair twice and nothing is reporting as an issue and the uncategorized transaction remains.
  • mbrown0812
    mbrown0812 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am also having this issue. It started after an update( 2 updates ago). Mine shows up on the 'Spending' tab and when I click on the link, it takes me to a blank transaction, no account, no amount, nothing. Version R45.13
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• mclaindj
    mclaindj Member
    Options
    @ToddK, I am seeing the exact behavior in the same exact case as you describe. Recently started, an update or 2 ago.
  • Kbeaud79
    Kbeaud79 Member
    Options
    me too! started with the latest software update??
  • luxvivens
    Options
    Having the same issue, it's a split transaction from my paycheck-- employer match that is 0.00. This is a new error, started in the last couple of weeks. Reported the issue to Quicken, hoping they will fix in next update.
  • leamank
    leamank Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am having the same problem. Is there any resolution yet?
  • leamank
    leamank Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. It started with my November 10 paycheck, and has happened with each weekly paycheck after that. I have been using the Paycheck wizard for a long time to split my paycheck into categories, and I have not had a problem like this before. Now when I look at the split, it shows an uncategorized amount for 0.00.
  • leamank
    leamank Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am having a similar issue, and I think I found out where my uncategorized transactions are coming from, at least in my case. With my Paycheck split, I have my 401K Employee Contribution Transfer set with a category to transfer my pre-tax withheld amount, and the employer contribution, to my 401K account in Quicken. But towards the end of the year, my contributions change from pre-tax to after-tax, although my employer match contributions continue. I changed my employee pre-tax contribution to zero, but left the employer match contribution as a non-zero amount (because I have a separate item being used for my after-tax contributions). After I have saved this in the Paycheck Split window, the category/account for the pre-tax contribution disappears. I suppose this is because the employee contribution amount is now zero, but my employer match contribution is still there, and it is still correctly going to my 401K account. These are the transactions that are coming up as uncategorized. I first saw it happening on 11/11/22. I actually had the same condition on 11/04/22, and that one was OK. But now when I go into the 11/04 paycheck and just re-save it, I end up with an additional uncategorized transaction. So something started going wrong with Quicken between 11/04 and 11/11. I am wondering if this started happening with one of the fixes in R45.7. Per the release notes, there is a Fixed Item for "Inability to delete blank investment transactions related to a paycheck", which sounds like it could be related.
  • ToddK
    ToddK Member ✭✭
    Options
    @leamank Yes. See my comment from November 24. When the value of a split line goes to zero, the category is cleared and there's no way to set it. In my case, the category was a transfer to another account.

The only way to "solve" the issue at this time is to remove the zero dollar split lines.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    xxxxx
  • daes
    daes Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options
    Getting what @leamank described. No uncategorized until paycheck on 11/18 and the next one on 12/5. Seems that now 401K Employer Contribution of $0.00 causing uncategorized but can find no way to categorize it.
  • keide
    keide Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same issue here as well. File is healthy otherwise.
  • Arby1
    Arby1 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issues as luxvivens and @leamank describes. It must be due to an update that happened about 6 weeks ago. I now have 3 such items related to 401K Employer Contribution of $0.00. We should not need to try and work around this - it needs to be fixed.
  • vgburke85
    vgburke85 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I figured out it is coming from my paycheck as well. My employer contribution to 401k is zero, as it should be. I look in the 401k and don't see any blank lines. If I click on "uncategorized transactions" on the home screen, there's a blank line there, but it is not clickable.
  • GSwitzer
    GSwitzer Member
    Options
    I too have confirmed that the problem is with split lines in paycheck. In my case the problem occurs on a Employer match where the Contribution amount is $0. The Category is removed every time the paycheck is saved. Has worked for years until the latest software update.
  • Dave1935
    Dave1935 Member
    Options
    I just had this problem occur yesterday. It involves my RMD deposits in my IRA account. It listed 13 uncategorized RMD's all from my IRA account. 12 from 2022 and 1 from this year. The error occurred right after I did an Update Transaction of the 1st RMD for this year. Got too be some connection there.
  • sjtideman
    sjtideman Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Same issue here... every time I get a paycheck I have to figure out a fix. Is this being worked on?
  • CFBro
    CFBro Member
    Options
    I'm having this same problem, with no way to correct it.
  • ToddK
    ToddK Member ✭✭
    Options
    LOL. The problem just went from bad to worse.

I could reasonably remove the $0 entries in my wife's paycheck. Plus, it was a temporary issue waiting for the new year when contribution limits reset.

Now, however, Quicken is _permanently_ showing me "uncategorized transactions" for _any_ paycheck I enter; even though every field is categorized and has a non-0 value [new calendar year so my wife can again contribute to her 401(k)].

In fact, if I take a very old paycheck [say from mid-2022] and copy/paste it, verify every field is categorized / non-0, the number of "uncategorized transactions" INCREASES BY ONE. In other words, copy-and-pasting a perfectly good, working entry [one that does NOT contribute to the uncategorized transactions] _increases the number of uncategorized transactions_.

Can someone from Quicken please respond? This is becoming increasingly annoying.
  • billgregoryjr
    billgregoryjr Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have updated to R47.7 on a second machine and I can confirm this issue still persists.
  • daes
    daes Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, this has been happening since some kind of change in November 2022. There are several community reports about it other than this one. Hope it gets addressed soon.
  • TangledWeb
    TangledWeb Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am running R44.28, the last update of R44.xx before R45.xx versions began in November. I suspect that if you want this issue to go away in the short-term you need to revert to QW27.1.44.28. Based on the comments on this forum, R45.xx versions were a mess while really adding no new features of note. R46.xx versions seem to have followed a similar path. And so far R47.7 is not having much success either.
  • daes
    daes Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options
    You've defined the exact version before this started happening. Hopefully, Quicken can use this to correct the problem. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.