Quicken Home Business & Rental

Options
BGBlake
BGBlake Member
edited December 2022 in Before you Buy
I have the above version of quicken. I DO NOT & WILL NEVER use a "cloud" to store my data. I also do not want to pay Quicken a fee for using a program that I purchased as a DESKTOP version. It will not allow me to access my accounts now.

Also, I have tried to use my old (and ONLY) ID & Password to sign into quicken but it takes me around in circles. I despise Quicken for selling a product that said DESKTOP but now is making me pay for it AGAIN! What do I do.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What version of Quicken are you trying to use? Unfortunately, when you installed Quicken and agreed to the EULA, you were only buying a license to use Quicken (with some functionality being disabled if the subscription was not renewed). Quicken is still desktop software and your data is not stored in the cloud unless you enable sync to the cloud.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "I also do not want to pay Quicken a fee for using a program that I purchased as a DESKTOP version."
    If you have a Quicken version from 2017 or earlier then there's no problem using that program.  You won't have any "downloading" capabilities so everything will need to be entered manually. 
    In a sense, Quicken has always been a subscription product, even with the 2017 and earlier versions; you had to pay the "subscription price" (purchase price) every 3 years if you wanted to continue to enjoy the benefit of being able to download information into your file.
    Starting in 2018 the "subscription" became annual and while you could continue to use Quicken at the end of the subscription period, a good part of your screen gets covered up with a renewal nag.
    "Also, I have tried to use my old (and ONLY) ID & Password to sign into quicken but it takes me around in circles"
    It's not clear what you're trying to do and what problems you're encountering.
    "I despise Quicken for selling a product that said DESKTOP but now is making me pay for it AGAIN! What do I do"
    That's entirely up to you, of course.  If you're using the current annual subscription version of Quicken. can tolerate having some of your information "in the cloud" and think the software is worthwhile, then renew.  Otherwise you'll have to use something else, which could be an Excel spreadsheet or a competing product.
  • lindad
    lindad Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have Quicken '17 on my computer and it works GREAT. MY problem is that I bought a new computer and of course the disc doesn't work on the new computer. I have never in over 20 years of using Quicken have I used the download from banks/CC function so not sure WHY we can't use it :(
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @lindad WHY won't your disc work?  What happens? What error codes or messages?
    Because Q2017 does indeed work with both Win 10 & Win 11.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you running 2017 on your old computer?  Maybe you have upgraded it?  I don't think 2017 still lets you download from banks etc,  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Installing from the disc is problematic, because it needs you to register, and I don't know that you can still register the software from that time period. (Quicken became independent of Intuit in 2016, and it took a year or so for them to complete moving some of their services and servers.)

But there should be an easy solution since you still have the old computer. Quit Quicken 2017. In the Applications folder, click on Quicken 2017 and select File > Compress, resulting in a .zip file. Move this .zip file to your new Mac. Do the same for your data file (e.g. Compress it and move it to the new Mac). Double-click the .zip file to decompress it, and place the Quicken 2017.app in the Applications folder. You may want to drag the app icon to your Dock. Put the data file in whatever location you want it. (I like creating a Quicken folder in your Users > Home folder.) Double-click on the zipped data file to decompress is, and double-click again to launch Quicken. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.