Running Q deluxe, latest update goes from 45.7 down to 45.11?

Options
Slygoat
Slygoat Member ✭✭
Running windows 10, latest update appears to be a downgrade? I have not tried installing the update yet as would like to know what is going on. Does anyone have an explanation?
Thanks

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Slygoat said:
    Thanks and that does match the log however since when is 45.7 a lower number than 45.11? I see one other similar change in the log file going from 42.8 to 42.21, all other changes are sequential, in an ascending order.
    For version numbers you need to take each number individually.
    42 is lower than 45, 7 is lower than 11.

If you look at the full release number, you get 27.1.45.11.  First two numbers are Major, Minor release numbers.  The major number used to change every year but hasn't changed since they went to a subscription.  They never used the minor number, so it is at 1.

The next number is known as the "Revision", and that is why the abbreviated version number starts with R (R45.11).  11 is considered the build number.

So, 45.7 is lower than 45.11 by 4 builds.  The "missing builds" would be internal builds during development and testing.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Hi @Slygoat,

Version 45.11 was apparently released today.  Version 45.7 (a lower number) was released last week, or the week before.  Here's a LINK to Quicken's list of releases with the latest always appearing at the top of the list.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Slygoat
    Slygoat Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks and that does match the log however since when is 45.7 a lower number than 45.11? I see one other similar change in the log file going from 42.8 to 42.21, all other changes are sequential, in an ascending order.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Slygoat said:
    For version numbers you need to take each number individually.
    42 is lower than 45, 7 is lower than 11.

If you look at the full release number, you get 27.1.45.11.  First two numbers are Major, Minor release numbers.  The major number used to change every year but hasn't changed since they went to a subscription.  They never used the minor number, so it is at 1.

The next number is known as the "Revision", and that is why the abbreviated version number starts with R (R45.11).  11 is considered the build number.

So, 45.7 is lower than 45.11 by 4 builds.  The "missing builds" would be internal builds during development and testing.
    Signature:
  • Slygoat
    Slygoat Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for the detailed explanation, makes sense now.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm confused by the whole premise of this thread.  The 45 stayed constant and 11 is greater than 7, so HOW could the upgrade be considered "down"???

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @NotACPA,  I believe the OP is assuming 45.7 is really 45.70 and comparing 45.70 to 45.11.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @NotACPA,  I believe the OP is assuming 45.7 is really 45.70 and comparing 45.70 to 45.11.

Could be ... but since the title of the thread reads "45.7" and not "45.70", I'm still confused.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It would be less confusing if Quicken used leading zeros, e.g., 45.07.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe this came up in the past as well and I can certainly appreciate the initial confusion depending what you are used to seeing from other businesses.  For those businesses that typically go into the double digit sub-releases like Quicken, calling it 45.07 would eliminate the confusion and it will sort properly in a list as well.  I am not suggesting either way since there could be other arguments; rather I can understand the initial reaction.  Comes down to understanding each business' nomenclature.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, this has come up before with the exact same conclusions.   ;)
    Signature:
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Then what happens if they did do .45.07 and .45.11 and there were a lot of revisions and they had to go past 99, would they have to go back and rename them to .45.007 and .45.011 so that .45.102 sorted properly?
    The current .45.7 and .45.11 schema had worked for a long time, why change now?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• wrau0000
    wrau0000 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Its in the interpretation of the '.' character.
    In OP thinking (a decimal number) the . separates the integer and fractional of a real number.
    In software revision, the "." is a separator between fields like major.minor.revision
    When used as a field separator, you can't perform a decimal comparison like the OP is trying.
    He must really be confused by the full release number, you get 27.1.45.11 vs. 27.1.45.7
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The "27.1" part no longer conveys any information. The major number 27 used to increment annually. This was good as a reminder of Quicken's age. It should be something like 31 by now, I think. And the "1" only denotes a production version. 0 and 2 have been used for beta versions.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    The "27.1" part no longer conveys any information. The major number 27 used to increment annually. This was good as a reminder of Quicken's age. It should be something like 31 by now, I think. And the "1" only denotes a production version. 0 and 2 have been used for beta versions.
    They started over on the major number when they switched from DOS to Windows.  Quicken first came out in 1983 actually released in 1984, so it is now about 39 38 years old.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.