Invalid Date error when reconciling [investment account register]

CharlieG
CharlieG Member ✭✭
This question is similar to the closed issue: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20247571#Comment_20247571

Every time I reconcile an investment account and change the status of a transaction from cleared to not cleared (or vice versa) I get an "invalid date" pop-up box pointing to the transaction I changed (Note: the transaction shows a valid date). Once I click OK the reconciliation finishes as you would expect. I have tried all the suggestions in the earlier port - copying the file, validating the file, ... None of these fix the problem or report an error.

I am running Quicken for Windows R45.13 Build 27.1.45.13 which as far as I know is the latest version. This problem has been around for several months - I can't remember exactly when it started.
Tagged:

Comments

  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    edited December 2022
    CharlieG said:
    This question is similar to the closed issue: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20247571#Comment_20247571

    Every time I reconcile an investment account and change the status of a transaction from cleared to not cleared (or vice versa) I get an "invalid date" pop-up box pointing to the transaction I changed (Note: the transaction shows a valid date). Once I click OK the reconciliation finishes as you would expect. I have tried all the suggestions in the earlier port - copying the file, validating the file, ... None of these fix the problem or report an error.

    I am running Quicken for Windows R45.13 Build 27.1.45.13 which as far as I know is the latest version. This problem has been around for several months - I can't remember exactly when it started.
    Hello @CharlieG,      

    I am sorry about this problem with strange error messages when trying to reconcile accounts. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community. 

    I see that you have mentioned attempting to validate the data file, but has a Super Validation also been attempted? First, save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then try proceeding through the instructions listed below, if you haven't already:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    Let us know how this works!

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 
  • CharlieG
    CharlieG Member ✭✭
    Quicken Jared,

    I did a Super Validate yesterday and it found no errors (Quicken was closed overnight). Today as I test I changed one reconciled transaction in one on my investment accounts to "uncleared" and saved the change. Then I ran Reconcile and "checked" the uncleared transaction. After I clicked Done I received the invalid date pop-up. Clicking OK on the pop-up cleared it and the transaction I had temporarily uncleared was now marked as reconciled.
  • CharlieG said:
    Quicken Jared,

    I did a Super Validate yesterday and it found no errors (Quicken was closed overnight). Today as I test I changed one reconciled transaction in one on my investment accounts to "uncleared" and saved the change. Then I ran Reconcile and "checked" the uncleared transaction. After I clicked Done I received the invalid date pop-up. Clicking OK on the pop-up cleared it and the transaction I had temporarily uncleared was now marked as reconciled.
    Hello @CharlieG,  

    Thanks for letting me know what happened after the Super Validation was attempted. I am sorry that this issue seems to be continuing.

    It sounds as though the transactions are still changing status with respect to whether or not they are cleared, without this being accurate, correct? Have you tried restoring from a recent backup? We recommend saving backups frequently by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Provided that this has been done often, you should be able to restore from a backup that was saved just prior to when this issue emerged by navigating to File > Restore from backup... in the same menu. I am curious about whether or not this problem continues in the restored file. 

    Let us know how this works, if you get the chance.

    Thanks,

    -Quicken Jared 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, I don't think this is a problem with the data file.  I see this same thing from time to time in my investment accounts, and it has been reported by others on here.  It doesn't seem to affect anything; it is just a bit annoying that the message pops up.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • CharlieG
    CharlieG Member ✭✭
    Quicken Jared - I restored a file from January 2022, well before the problem started and did my same test - uncleared a previously reconciled transaction, ran Reconcile, checked the uncleared transaction - and again got the error.

    Chris_QPW - I agree with you. I saw other similar posts (all closed) with the same error. So far I haven't seen a post where there turned out to be a problem with the data file. I looks like a bug to me. Fortunately as you said, it's just an annoyance and doesn't seem to affect anything.
  • CharlieG
    CharlieG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Quicken Jared - I just reread your post and saw "It sounds as though the transactions are still changing status with respect to whether or not they are cleared, without this being accurate, correct?"

    This is not correct. The problem is that when you check a transaction to mark it cleared Reconcile complains that the transaction has an invalid date when it in fact has a correct date. The cleared/uncleared/reconciled status is changing correctly.
  • CharlieG
    CharlieG Member ✭✭
    I have created a simple Quicken file to demonstrate the problem but I see I can't attach a .QDF file to this post so I attached a screen shot. The file contains a single offline brokerage account. The account has four transactions and is reconciled.

    To get the error do the following:
    1) Manually change the last transaction to "Uncleared" and save it.
    2) Select Reconcile from the "gear" in the upper right.
    3) Enter $110.00 for the ending cash balance and click ok.
    4) On the Reconcile screen mark the 11/15/2022 Div transaction as cleared.
    5) Click the Done button.
    6) Up pops the "Enter a valid date" error message.
    7) If you click OK on the error you'll see that the account is once again reconciled.

    Charlie
  • CharlieG
    CharlieG Member ✭✭
    Working with Quicken Support we seem to have found an solution. The problem appears to have gone away after I logged out of my Quicken account and logged back in. This seems like an odd solution so I'm monitoring to see if the issues stays solved. But so far, so good.
  • CharlieG said:
    Working with Quicken Support we seem to have found an solution. The problem appears to have gone away after I logged out of my Quicken account and logged back in. This seems like an odd solution so I'm monitoring to see if the issues stays solved. But so far, so good.
    Hello @CharlieG,  

    Thanks for letting us know about what seems to have led to a resolution in this case. I do apologize we were unable to achieve this via the Quicken Community.

    If you have the chance to follow up with me: when you mention 'signing out,' did this involve signing in as a different user (just for reference, I included steps for this below; and let me know if these seem familiar it won't be necessary to do this again if so)-
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    I appreciate you taking the time to work with us on this. 

    Thanks again,

    Quicken Jared 
  • CharlieG
    CharlieG Member ✭✭
    Unfortunately the error is back. Sign out/in did not resolve it.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    edited December 2022
    CharlieG said:
    Unfortunately the error is back. Sign out/in did not resolve it.
    Hello @CharlieG,   

    I am very sorry to hear that the error message has returned. Thanks for updating us about what is happening. 

    This issue is a bug that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

    Thank you!

    -Quicken Jared

    (CTP-5284)


  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    CharlieG said:
    I have created a simple Quicken file to demonstrate the problem but I see I can't attach a .QDF file to this post so I attached a screen shot. The file contains a single offline brokerage account. The account has four transactions and is reconciled.

    To get the error do the following:
    1) Manually change the last transaction to "Uncleared" and save it.
    2) Select Reconcile from the "gear" in the upper right.
    3) Enter $110.00 for the ending cash balance and click ok.
    4) On the Reconcile screen mark the 11/15/2022 Div transaction as cleared.
    5) Click the Done button.
    6) Up pops the "Enter a valid date" error message.
    7) If you click OK on the error you'll see that the account is once again reconciled.

    Charlie
    I attempted the equivalent of this in my base test file.  Did not have the problem you cited.  I am using R43.32 (last release of the Oct 22 version).  

    I suggest you back off to the R44.28 version and see if that behaves better for you.  

    In part, your issue sounds a bit like a 'click-through' problem from some months ago where a click on one window was being interpreted as a click on the window underneath it.  If you could duplicate your sequence with keyboard actions rather than mounse click, that might shed some light that direction.   
  • Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hi All, We hope to have a fix for this issue soon in the next patch release. Please stay tuned and thank you for your patience. 

    -Quicken Janean
  • CharlieG
    CharlieG Member ✭✭
    Version R46.12, Build 27.1.46.12 seems to have resolved the problem.