My online updates have stopped working

Bvsmithnh
Bvsmithnh Member ✭✭
My Bank re-branded the checking account name and my online transaction updates have stopped working, I can do a manual download of a file from the bank's website and import it into Quicken. The account number has not changed and the credentials work fine. Oddly, the savings account from the same bank continues work without issue and downloads fine.

Any help will be appreciated. TY

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to the Online Services tab of Account Details for the checking account.  What connection method does it show it is set up with?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Hello @Bvsmithnh

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

Before I can further assist you, I require some more information. Which financial institution are you experiencing this with? What is the connection method with said financial institution? You can see the connection method by navigating to Tools > Account List. Do you receive any error codes or messages when attempting to automatically download transactions? What exactly occurs?

I look forward to your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Bvsmithnh
    Bvsmithnh Member ✭✭
    Good morning. No error messages and I'm using the Webconnect. The Quicken version is Premier R45.21 The account is "activiated" in the on-line services tab of the account settings. The account is at Citizens bank. The unusual thing is the related savings account does work. Thank you.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bvsmithnh - I think the issue is that your account is activated for Web Connect which is the method whereby you manually download transactions from the online bank account via QFX ("Quicken" or "Web Connect") format and then manually import that file into Quicken.  Since it is activated for that method you cannot download transactions into if from within Quicken via One Step Update or Update Now.  What you need to do is change the connection method from Web Connect to Express Web Connect or, if available, Direct Connect.

To fix this you might want to try doing the following:
    1. Backup your data file before proceeding.
    2. In the Account Register:  Enter the date and dollar amount of the Opening Balance transaction into the Memo field and then Save it.  (You might not need this information but you will be glad you did this if later it turns out that you do.)
    3. Go to the Online Services tab of Account Details of the Savings Account.  Make sure you know exactly which Citizens Bank you are connected with.  There are MANY different Citizens Bank connection links available and selecting the right one is critical to success.
    4. Go to the Online Services tab of Account Details of the Checking Account.  Does it say there is an improved connection method available?  If so, click on that and follow the prompts.  Be sure to Link the download to the Checking Account if/when prompted.  If you also get prompted to do something with a download for your Savings Account, be sure to Link it to your Savings Account or Ignore it.
    5. If #4 does not work or it does not give you the option to upgrade to an improved connection method:  On the Online Services tab, click on Deactivate.  Then click on Set Up Now and follow the prompts...make sure to select the correct Citizens Bank connection link...again making sure to Link the download to this checking account if/when you are prompted.  If you also get prompted to do something with a download for your Savings Account, be sure to Link it to your Savings Account or Ignore it.
    6. If #5 does not work:  On the General tab remove all of the financial institution information in the upper right quadrant (everything about the Contact Name field).  Go to Add Account and type in Citizens Bank, select the specific one you need, then click on Next and follow the prompts....again, making sure to Link the download to this checking account if/when prompted.  If you also get prompted to do something with a download for your Savings Account, be sure to Link it to your Savings Account or Ignore it.
    If one of these processes works:
    1. Does your Account Register balance match the Online Balance?  If so, you are done.  If not, proceed to the next step.
    2. Check the Opening Balance transaction date and dollar amount.  If it does not match what was entered into the Memo field, correct it to match what is in the Memo field.  If your Account Register balance and Online Balance now match, you are done.  If not, proceed to the next step.
    3. Starting with the most recent transaction in the Account Register, work your way backward looking for duplicate transactions.  Any duplicate transactions will need to be manually deleted.  Generally, you won't need to go back more than 90 days but in some cases it might be more or fewer days than this.  Your Account Register balance should now match the Online Balance.
    Did this resolve the issue for you?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.