Can I delete all transactions and redownload?

Options
rwhtx
rwhtx Member ✭✭
I recently started using Quicken again. I downloaded from my bank, but somehow ended up with duplicates and in the process of trying to fix that I apparently deleted some actual transactions. Can I delete all transactions (for a year) and download again. And is there a limit on how far back I can download?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can't re-download into the same Q data file. Q will remember the previous download and isn't supposed to download those transactions again.
    You probably got duplicates because, somewhere during your absence from Q, your bank changed download methods ... that can cause dupes to happen.
    And the limit as to how far back you can download depends upon your bank's decision.  90 days is typical, but if your initiate the download directly from their website THEY may allow you to go back further.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @rwhtx - Do you have a backup file from before you started downloading into Quicken, again?  If so, you could try restoring that file and then do One Step Update or Update Now to download transactions from your bank.  You might get all the duplicates, again, but all of the old data should be intact and it won't remember any the transactions you downloaded into your current main file because in that restored file they would not yet have been downloaded.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The can't redownload restriction in a file is to a single account.  If you create a new account in that file, you can download those transactions again and then move them to the account you really want them in using this FAQ: FAQ - Moving Transactions .

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    splasher said:
    The can't redownload restriction in a file is to a single account.  If you create a new account in that file, you can download those transactions again and then move them to the account you really want them in using this FAQ: FAQ - Moving Transactions .
    Yes, I'd thought of that, too, but that would not address the transactions history that was accidentally deleted if those deleted transactions were from before the time period the bank will download new transactions for.  Restoring a backup file would still include those accidentally deleted transactions.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

This discussion has been closed.