Paste transactions greyed out

SilvertonChuck
SilvertonChuck Member ✭✭
edited February 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I open one Quicken file and copy transactions in a checking account and when I go to paste them into the checking account of another Quicken file the Paste is grey - not available.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's right, you can't paste transactions between files. Part of the reason for this is probably that the Categories and Tags may be different between the files.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't even copy/paste a transaction within the same account in the same file. What appears is the field names, not the data. This is R46.9 on Win10. Does anyone else see this?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't even copy/paste a transaction within the same account in the same file. What appears is the field names, not the data. This is R46.9 on Win10. Does anyone else see this?

Until now, I had never figured out the exact technique, but it is where you click on the transaction and how you selected it to do the copy that either gets a real copy/paste or the mess-up that your picture displays.

I have gotten what you got many times in the past and recently in my current release R44.28.  When I just tried it now, clicking in the "Status Flag/Attachment" field and it worked.
    Clicking in the Payee field to select the transaction gets your result.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Thanks, @splasher. That's an unexpected turn of events. I wonder how long this has been going on.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    It turns out this also solves @SilvertonChuck 's problem, at least for one transaction at a time. By carefully clicking in the Flag/Attachment field, I can copy a transaction from one file to another. It fails for multiple transactions, though.

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    This has been going on forever.  I get @Rocket J Squirrel 's result if, silly me, I am in a Payee field and right click to paste a transaction.  If I am in a memo field (my solution for decades without further investigation), the transaction does paste.  Just one of too many dozens of glitchy inconsistencies that never seem to get fixed.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The problem stems from Quicken overriding the default behaviors of Windows.  And note that at times people want Quicken's "override" and other times they want the Windows default.

Try these combinations to see what I mean.  First go to a register and copy a transaction.
    Next go to the last (empty) transaction in a register and right click.  You are going to get this menu.

This is Quicken's context menu.

Cancel that (Esc key).
    Now click on the payee field and the payee list should come up like this:

With that list up, right click in the payee field, this is the menu that comes up:

This is the default Windows context menu, and the "Paste" is for the field, not the transaction.

This fighting what menu comes up is the reason there are complaints about not being able to copy and paste fields from time to time.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.