Should I recycle Chase accounts after 7 years?

Options
Should I close my checking account and open a new one with Chase? Chase cannot provide statements older than seven (7) years.
Tagged:

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Don't you store stmts for 7 years?

I see no reason for a new account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why would you want to close your older Chase account? Even though statements older than 7 years are not available you will still have access to statements newer than that. And opening a new Chase account will not give you any access to those older statements. So what would be the benefit of closing the older Chase account and opening a new one?

IMO, I would not close the older Chase account and open a new one. I just don't see any benefit for doing that. Nor do I see any risk for simply keeping your current Chase account open and not opening a new one. I have a Chase credit card that has been open for over 30 yrs and it works just fine. I can't access my credit card statements anywhere near that far back but why would I need to? Once a bank statement has been reconciled there really is no longer any need for it.

BTW, most financial institutions limit the number of years that statements are available for. So, Chase is not alone in this.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• mjeanfreau
    mjeanfreau Member ✭✭
    Options
    When I reset or deactivate/reactivate online services.....my balances get thrown off. It's difficult to troubleshoot what corrupted the balance without statements.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You could store the old statements locally, and therefore you would have statements for the full history of the account. I would also rely on good backups. Even though if something goes wrong it will probably be the online account, there isn't 100% guarantee that Quicken won't mess up an offline account.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

From my perspective, the 3 most common issues that can occur when deactivating/reactivating an account are:

1. THE AMOUNT OF THE OPENING BALANCE TRANSACTION GETS CHANGED: A good means for helping to ensure that you can easily see if this has happened is to first enter the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount into the Memo field. Then if the amount gets changed during deactivating/reactivating it is very easy to know what the correction needs to be. Until you enter the correct amount into the Memo field you might need to restore an old backup file from before the account balance issue began and make note of the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount which you can then enter into the current data file.
    2. A SECOND OPENING BALANCE TRANSACTION GETS ENTERED: To determine if this has happened, you will need to scroll through the register to find it. You can make this process a easier by clicking on the Payee column header which will sort the register in alphabetical order. Then scroll through the register to where “Opening Balance” should appear and if there is more than one, the more recently dated one will be the culprit. If you find one, it needs to be manually deleted.
    3. DUPLICATE TRANSACTIONS MIGHT HAVE BEEN ENTERED INTO THE REGISTER: These will typically be found in the 90-days or less time period but it could go back further. There is no simple way to screen for this. It's a matter of scrolling through the register to find duplicate transactions. If you find any duplicates, one of the 2 transactions will need to be manually deleted.

Generally, troubleshooting for these 3 issues and correcting any issues found will resolve the account balance issue.

These things do not usually happen but they do sometimes happen. I personally would prefer to find the issues and correct for them so I can keep the account continuity in Quicken.

But if you prefer not to spend the time troubleshooting your current account in Quicken you could close your current account in Quicken and then open a new account in Quicken. You do not need to close your current account and open a new one at Chase. Just connect the new account in Quicken with your current account at Chase.

Which path you take is a personal choice.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.