American Express Download Skips Transactions After Reauthorization

After reauthorizing my American Express card account per the instructions from Quicken, I download transactions. An entire month was skipped. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks

Answers

• Hello @HarryRosenthal,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. If you haven't done so already, you would want to click on the Date column in the register for that account, just in case the issue is being caused by the sort order. Its also a good idea to verify you don't have any filters on that would keep you from being able to see that month (filters are at the top of the register, just above the column headers).

If those don't resolve the issue, the next thing to consider is how long ago the missing transactions happened. Was the skipped month over 90 days in the past? Many financial institutions don't make history further than 90 days in the past available for automatic download.

Have any transactions been deleted recently or moved to a different account? If so, that could block them from redownloading since Quicken would see that they had already been downloaded. If the transactions from that month are all very similar to previous transactions (eg: recurring transactions that are generally identical except for the date), its also possible they could have incorrectly matched to other transactions already in the register.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Kristina,

Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately none of the above suggestions apply. The same thing happened when the authorization method for (I think) Bank of America credit cards was changed. Once the new authorization method was established, roughly a month of transactions was skipped in the download. Apparently it had something to do with the date of last download stored by the bank - in any event, Quicken posted a fix shortly thereafter which solved the problem. FYI I have two American Express card accounts and both did the exact same thing, so it was not an isolated situation.

I could go through a tedious process of dowloading an import file from American Express with only the missing transactions, but if a fix is going to be posted I don't want to do that and possibly double up on those transactions.

Is anyone else having this issue, or is it just me?

Thanks again for your help.

• Thank you for your reply,

If it does have to do with an incorrect date of last download, then the following process may help:

1. Back up your file.
    2. Log out of Quicken. You can do this by going to Edit>Preferences>Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts. Click Sign in as a different user. Type "yes" to confirm, then click Sign Out.
    3. Once you hit the Sign Out button, Quicken will log you out and take you back to the Login Screen. Before you log in, close out of Quicken and leave the program closed for about 10 seconds.
    4. Re-open Quicken and Log in.
    5. Update the account and check to see if the missing information did pull in.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@HarryRosenthal - If @Quicken Kristina 's latest suggestion does not work for you, you might want to try using the Web Connect (manual downloading and importing of transactions from your online account). To do this:

1. Backup your data file before proceeding.
    2. Log into your online Amex account and download for 1 of your Amex accounts the date range of transactions that are missing in QFX (or "Web Connect" or "Quicken") format. Save the file to your hard drive or select Quicken to open it.
    3. If you saved the file to your hard drive, double click on it and select Quicken to open it or inside Quicken go to File > File Import > Web Connect (.QFX) File and when prompted select the Amex account in Quicken to import the data into.
    4. Repeat #2 and #3 for your other Amex account.

Not all financial institutions offer the Web Connect option but the FIDIR (Financial Institutions Directory) list shows that Amex does so it would be worth a try to see if this can fill that 1 month gap in transactions.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.