One step update on 2 different accounts under same creditor

Myself and myhusband both have a Capital One credit card. The accounts are separate with two diferent logins. Quicken will not keep the logins separate when I try to set them both up under one step update. Quicken automatically looks under one login for both accounts and will not see the logins that I put in the software for each. It is very annoying! Anyone else have this issue? I wish Quicken would fix this and allow both to be set up under one step update

Answers

• Hello @JDMaendler,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. If I'm understanding the issue correctly, you connect both cards, try to update, and it can update one but can't update the other?

When you go through the process to add the account, it redirects you to Capital One to authorize, then after it says success, you go back to Quicken and it loads the add/link screen, which shows the accounts it sees coming from Capital One, the account type, the nickname in Quicken, and the action (Add to Quicken, Link to Exisiting, or Don't Add to Quicken). When you are on that screen, does it show only the Capital One accounts associated with the specific Capital One login you used when authorizing with Capital One, or is it showing all the accounts (yours and his)?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• JDMaendler
    JDMaendler Member ✭✭

it shows all accounts not just capital one. When I click link to existing.

• JDMaendler
    JDMaendler Member ✭✭

when I go to set up second capital one account to one step update it will only hold one capital one login info. So it automatically tries to login to first account that was set up. I don't see where I can add login Info for second card. I go to password vault to add and it won't give me option to add. It only shows the initial capital one card login info.

• Thank you for your reply,

The password vault doesn't work with Capital One accounts due to the connection method. Unlike Direct Connect, Express Web Connect + does not store the login credentials in Quicken. The authorization process through Capital One's website generates a token that authorizes Quicken to download account information.

After you authorize accounts under one login, what is happening when you try to authorize accounts under the other login? Is the redirect to Capital One's web page keeping you logged in under the other account rather than giving you a chance to use the other login?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• JDMaendler
    JDMaendler Member ✭✭

yes it keeps trying to login under the other acct when I'm trying to set up 2nd acct

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@JDMaendler - How are you trying to set up the 2nd account? Are you doing it via Add Account or Set Up Now?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited March 2023

Thank you for your reply,

What sometimes happens is Capital One saves your session, so when adding the other accounts while that session is still active, it'll still see you as logged in under the other account. One thing that can help with this is after authorizing under the first login, go to Capital One's website, log in under that user ID, then log back out again. That should end the session. Then go back to Quicken to authorize the accounts under the other login.

Another thing to be careful of is if, after authorizing on Capital One's website, the add/link screen in Quicken sees all the accounts with Capital One rather than just the account you're trying to connect, choose Link to Existing only for the account you need to connect under that login and select Don't Add to Quicken for any other Capital One accounts showing. That will prevent it from changing the connection on any other accounts it sees.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• JDMaendler
    JDMaendler Member ✭✭

@Boatnmaniac

Set up now when I go to edit account

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Set Up Now will usually work quite well but there have occasionally (not commonly) been reported instances of it failing when trying to set up additional accunts when an existing account is already set up with that same financial institution.

It has happened with me a couple times that I can remember. A Moderator (no longer with Quicken) told me I might want to try setting up the new account, again, using Add Account instead of Set Up Now. It worked for me. Maybe it will work for you, too.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.