Constant crashing - using version r48.15

Options
MG99
MG99 Member ✭✭
Since updating to r48.15, I am again getting constant crashing. Validated several times. Crashes sometime during one step updates, sometime when opening quicken, etc. very frustrating. Any advise??

Comments

• MG99
    MG99 Member ✭✭
    Options
    For first time, now seeing a “failed to create dump file (error 183). Any ideas what this mean.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @MG99,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Quicken? Please refer to the following support articles for instructions on uninstalling here and reinstalling here.

However, after you have uninstalled and before you proceed with reinstalling, please open your Windows File Explorer and navigate to This PC > C: Drive > Program Files (x86) and delete the folder titled "Quicken" (doing so does not affect your data files). After you have deleted this folder, go ahead and try reinstalling.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• MG99
    MG99 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Thanks. Just did..was easy to do. Let’s hope this resolves issue. Thank you.
  • Quicken Anja
    Options

You're welcome!

-Quicken Anja

• MG99
    MG99 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Didn’t work..still crashing, but at least less frequent. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.
  • Quicken Anja
    Options

Thank you for following up.

I know you previously mentioned having validated your file before, however, have you also tried super validating?

If not, I suggest that you please try super validating your data file next. Though, I do recommend that you first save a backup file before performing these steps.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

• Joe12
    Joe12 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same thing is happening to me. I perform a one step update. Half the time it crashes half way through. Sometimes it allows me to successfully update, but then when working in an account it crashes. Can we PLEASE get quicken fixed. AND Validate the fixes before your role them out. Yes, I validated/super validated/closed quicken. I would even do it all left handed if you told me that would fix it!

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Joe12,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. If you have followed all the steps recommended earlier in this thread, the next step would be restoring a backup from before the issue started and testing to see if the issue is happening in the newly restored file.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• MG99
    MG99 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thx. Will try super validation (again, as it appeared to resolve crashing issue, then I upgraded quicken to latest version, and crashing started again).
  • Joe12
    Joe12 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina What is the purpose of restoring a backup and seeing if the error happens again? Quicken made a change in the program and pushed out an update. Many of us are having the same issue and we are told to restore a back up? I don't understand.

Please explain.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response @Joe12,

The purpose of restoring a backup from before the issue started is to check if the issue is file specific. If its happening only in that one file, then reverting to a state before there was a problem will resolve it.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• wings9798
    wings9798 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. Deactivating online access, renaming an account. Anything I do freezes the program and forces me to exit the program. Never should have updated to a subscription.
  • Joe12
    Joe12 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina The crasing is tied to the latest program update. Multiple people on this board are having the same issue. Restoring to the previous version would lose HOURS of work for me. Please fix the program.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I am seeing crashes as OSU is finishing when MS OneDrive is active. I have also seen crashes in Quicken at other times when OneDrive is active. This was a problem a few years ago and required pausing OneDrive (or similiar live backup programs) before using Quicken. If OneDrive is paused before opening Quicken, I do not experience crashes.

The crash is logged in the Windows Event log as an Application Error, Event ID 1000. Faulting app is qw.exe. Faulting module is ntdll.dll.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, if the troubleshooting steps from earlier in this thread fail to resolve the issue, then we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

(CTP-6397)

Quicken Kristina

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Normally this type of crash would initiate a BugSplat report pop-up screen that sends the windows crash dump logs to Quicken. That is not happening.

So another follow up question is why is BugSplat not working in this instance? No useful information will be gleaned from the Quicken logs in Report a Problem when a Windows app crash is involved. That is what BugSplat is for.

• mbusbusiness
    mbusbusiness Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Adding myself to this list. Running Quicken R48.15. I run "One Step Update" which completes and then Windows shows a "Quicken Windows has stopped working" box with a "close program" button. Button kills the app. I restart and runs normally until the next update.
  • ssrd10
    ssrd10 Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

I keep getting constant crashes also. At different times. Today it was at startup, then after the one step update completed and then when trying to add an account. This is so frustratng. I have had Quicken since the program came out years ago, and this is the first time that there have been so many issues.

• Dora123
    Dora123 Member ✭✭
    Options
    My problem is now limited to my investment accounts at Wells Fargo Advisors. Even doing an Edit on an account causes a crash,
  • Dora123
    Dora123 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm using R49.22 and the problem with investments still occurs
  • eyoung
    eyoung Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

I am still having it crash for me also, I sent in about 40 crash reports, never got a response. [Removed - Rant]

This discussion has been closed.