Lost Data Files after Quicken Update

Options

It seems that every time I open Quicken, the program updates and I then lost the Data File. I'd expect Quicken to open the most recent file; but, it opens with no accounts and blank information.

It then takes me some time to find a backup and get that restored. That has been frustrating and time consuming. But, today, when I open the backup, I still get a file with no accounts or history. I am not seeing a backup from most recent use in February.

So, beyond just frustrated for just wasted time; but, now don't know if I even have all of the old data.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @LD Smith,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When you open Quicken, unless you are opening it from a specific data file, it should open to the file you were most recently in. Are you launching Quicken from an icon you have on your desktop? Does the icon look like the sample image below?

When the Quicken file comes up, if its not the one you were expecting, usually the simplest way to get back to the file you wanted is to click on File, and then look just above where it says Exit and it will list the 4 Quicken files you were most recently in, with the one you're currently in being in the #1 spot. That usually means that the file you want would be in the #2 spot. Since you mentioned you restored a backup, then the file you were in prior to that may be in the #3 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Check your filename length. Quicken can get picky about it if it is longer than eight characters, 12345678.QDF. 
    Also check that there is not a space at the end before the period (.QDF).
    Rename it in Windows Explorer with Quicken closed. Once renamed, double click on the file to start Quicken with that file, after that, it should find it on its own.
    The old file name will still be in the Recent File list (File menu), but if you select it, Quicken will tell you it can't find it and offer to remove it from the Recent File list.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.