Auto fill transaction data

Options
revbob53
revbob53 Member

When i enter a transaction for the first time — say, to pay my car insurance — I can save the details of the transaction, including the payee, category, and amount. When I enter that payee again, Quicken will autofill the amount. But sometimes the amount changes over time. How do I instruct Quicken to save the new amount and not keep offering the old amount? Thanks.

Best Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @revbob53,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community with this question.

You can go about this using two different methods, you may keep the current QuickFill rule and then manually go and change the amount to the amount you wish to have it set to from within your QuickFill rule list which you can get to by navigating to Window > Payees & Rules (note that this amount will stay and will still need to be revised in the register if it changes) Or, you could go in and edit the current QuickFill rule and delete the amount so it remains blank and then you may hit Save. Then you can manually input each amount within the register as new transactions download.

You can follow this link for more information regarding QuickFill rules with Quicken for Mac.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

@revbob53 The payment amount will automatically update with each transaction you enter — exactly as you want — if you have the Quicken Setting > Register checkbox for "Automatically create rule when I edit a transaction" checked and the dropdown menu beneath it set to All Fields. Each time you enter the transaction the same Payee, Quicken updates the existing rule. (For rules where you don't want this to happen, edit the QuickFill Rule and check the box for "Lock this rule to prevent changes to it when editing a transaction".)

Or, if you prefer to have the Setting for automatically creating rules unchecked, you can achieve the same result when entering a transaction. Start entering the Payee, select the QuickFil rule in the pop-up Best Matches list, and then as you're in the Category fiel, the blue mini-menu will pop up above the transaction with the "Save QuickFill ruel for this payee with all fields" box unchecked; check it before tabbing to the next field. Then updat ethe memo and/or amount and save the transaction; the QuickFill Rule will be updated.

You can also manually edit the rule, as Jasmine mentioned above, but I find there are too many steps for that to be practical.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @revbob53,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community with this question.

You can go about this using two different methods, you may keep the current QuickFill rule and then manually go and change the amount to the amount you wish to have it set to from within your QuickFill rule list which you can get to by navigating to Window > Payees & Rules (note that this amount will stay and will still need to be revised in the register if it changes) Or, you could go in and edit the current QuickFill rule and delete the amount so it remains blank and then you may hit Save. Then you can manually input each amount within the register as new transactions download.

You can follow this link for more information regarding QuickFill rules with Quicken for Mac.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

@revbob53 The payment amount will automatically update with each transaction you enter — exactly as you want — if you have the Quicken Setting > Register checkbox for "Automatically create rule when I edit a transaction" checked and the dropdown menu beneath it set to All Fields. Each time you enter the transaction the same Payee, Quicken updates the existing rule. (For rules where you don't want this to happen, edit the QuickFill Rule and check the box for "Lock this rule to prevent changes to it when editing a transaction".)

Or, if you prefer to have the Setting for automatically creating rules unchecked, you can achieve the same result when entering a transaction. Start entering the Payee, select the QuickFil rule in the pop-up Best Matches list, and then as you're in the Category fiel, the blue mini-menu will pop up above the transaction with the "Save QuickFill ruel for this payee with all fields" box unchecked; check it before tabbing to the next field. Then updat ethe memo and/or amount and save the transaction; the QuickFill Rule will be updated.

You can also manually edit the rule, as Jasmine mentioned above, but I find there are too many steps for that to be practical.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.