Full Portfolio View Headings [edited]

Options
pachase
pachase Member ✭✭
edited May 2023 in Investing (Windows)

When in Full Portfolio view of investment accounts (7 accounts), the heading for the first group of securities does not appear when I group by Security or Security Type. The heading does appear for the first group when using the other "Group by" selections. Headings and total sums appear for all the other groups in the view.

Best Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Many, many years ago, I noticed that when grouping by Security Type, the header for my alphabetically first type, Bond, did not always appear. I created a dummy security type named "AAA Dummy" and now Bond appears.

In fact, I just did the experiment, deleting AAA Dummy, and now the Bond header stopped appearing. In the image, the view is scrolled all the way to the top. You can see my Citigroup corporate bond, but not the header Bond.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• pachase
    pachase Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Dear Mr. Squirrel,

Thank for the information. I am going to use your suggestion. Your problem was identical to my question.

When I created a new security type (AAA) and assigned this type to one of my secutities, it appeared with a heading as well as the secutity type below it (Bond - Corp.). When I had no securities in the AAA type, the AAA type did not appear and the the first group (Bond - Corp.) now has a heading and a total.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What version, edition level (Starter, Deluxe, etc.) and release (R xx.xx) of Quicken are you using?
    US, Canadian or other country version?

With my limited number of investment holdings I don't seem to be able to reproduce what you're seeing.
    Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    How do I post a screenshot in the community from windows

How do I post a screenshot in the community from a mac
    Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When I group by Security, it is all one group so I don't see the need for a heading, although it might be nice if a view grouped by Security had a section for each Security showing which accounts hold the security.

When I group by Security Type I see a header for each type, including the first one. Are you sure your view is scrolled all the way to the top?

(I edited the discussion title to correct the spelling of Portfolio)

QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓
    Options

Many, many years ago, I noticed that when grouping by Security Type, the header for my alphabetically first type, Bond, did not always appear. I created a dummy security type named "AAA Dummy" and now Bond appears.

In fact, I just did the experiment, deleting AAA Dummy, and now the Bond header stopped appearing. In the image, the view is scrolled all the way to the top. You can see my Citigroup corporate bond, but not the header Bond.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Many, many years ago, I noticed that when grouping by Security Type, the header for my alphabetically first type, Bond, did not always appear. 

I too have seen that behavior for many years. In my case, I believe I tracked it to having another type, Bond MF, similar to your Bond ETF. Files without that security type behaved normally.

• pachase
    pachase Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Dear Mr. Squirrel,

Thank for the information. I am going to use your suggestion. Your problem was identical to my question.

When I created a new security type (AAA) and assigned this type to one of my secutities, it appeared with a heading as well as the secutity type below it (Bond - Corp.). When I had no securities in the AAA type, the AAA type did not appear and the the first group (Bond - Corp.) now has a heading and a total.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Wow that is weird. It appears that it is something like this:

If you have a custom security type whose name comes alphabetically before the first built-in type you hold, even if you don't hold any of the custom type, then the name of the first built-in type is not displayed when you group a portfolio view by Security Type.

So if I have a Security type aaaC then the Bond heading is not displayed for my Bonds. If I rename the custom type to Caaa, the Bonds heading is displayed.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

What you describe is the exact opposite of what I experience. I had to create "AAA Dummy" to occupy the first alphabetical slot in the security type list. If I rename that to "Dummy AAA", the Bond header goes away.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Then it is even weirder. Here is what I see with a custom type of aaa

And here is what I see if I rename the type aaa to ccc

This discussion has been closed.