Slow Launch Slow Transaction Update Launch

tbf47
tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have posted this before. Slow launch for the program (intermittently) Typically very slow to launch transaction update. What makes me believe this has everything to do with the Quicken server is that if it were my computer it would not have the variations. And there are variations. This is not my web connection as I have 2 computers on my desk the other is unaffected. I use this PC for one purpose to run Quicken. I believe this is a Quicken problem that is refused to be addressed. I have reset Windows, deleted and reinstalled Quicken. If I could tolerate Q for Mac I would prove it.

I hope Quicken would own it and fix it.

Windows 10 * Quicken Premier user.

Quicken user since 198x something. Started with Quicken for DOS 5.X

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @tbf47,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

Before I can further assist you, I require some more information. What is the Windows version that you are running? How long has this issue been occurring? Did anything occur before you noticed this issue? Does Quicken load and run correctly on other devices? How long does Quicken take to launch or run a One Step Update?

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭

My computer is Windows 10. This has been going on about 6 or 8 months. I did not notice anything happening. It is behaving the same on this computer as another.

one step update takes 2 mins and 10 seconds. Do you think that 2+ minutes is a reasonable amount of time?

Thanks

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭

I suspect that Windows One Drive is interfering. I suspect this is Quicken being impeded by Windows.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @tbf47,

Thank you for providing more information.

We recommend that you keep your Quicken file directly on your C drive and not synced with any cloud services.  You can view this article for more information.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭

Got it. I knew early on that One Drive was not my friend. It is not easily eliminated. What could be causing the hour glass screen asking to wait or close the program? It happens practically everyday. I was told by one Quicken person to put it all in the document folder. I thought it needed to go directly in the C: drive root directory. I have since reloaded Windows with updates, turned off One Drive. Reload Quicken. I still get the hour glass and slow launch of various functions.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Thank you for your reply,

I would recommend following the steps in this article to help troubleshoot the issue.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭

My Quicken file location is

C:>Users>user name>OneDrive>Documents>Quicken>

Please advise me if this location needs to be changed.

Thanks

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta

Just pause OneDrive before running Quicken. It does slow down OSU. Then resume it after closing Quicken. OSU at 2m 10s is not slow if you are downloading mostly EWC accounts. I'm at 60-90 seconds for 4 direct connect and 4 EWC accounts. EWC takes about 80% of the time. So, if you have more than 4 EWC accounts, your time is normal.

• Jerry2
    Jerry2 Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem Unacceptably slow since last few "updates". Ready to uninstal and stop using Quicken after 10-15 years.
    I am on a fast laptop, 16GB ram, all files on 1 TB SSD, OneDrive is no longer on my Windows 10 system.
    Quicken has become unusable. I cannot spend an hour accepting downloads!
  • Jerry2
    Jerry2 Member ✭✭
    Also, I have copied the file (made no difference), validated (made no difference).
    It's the Quicken program! Something changed a few months ago that slowed everything down.
    Other programs run fine.
  • tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jerry2 My sentiments exactly. It seems Quicken folks don't believe some of us very long time and very experienced faithful users. They continually try to diagnose a problem with the computer. It seems to me the updates mostly address modifications to infrequently used features instead of core program features> I have been using Quicken since DOS 5.2 days. I have tried Quicken for the iOS operating system. It is not the same. It is like "Quicken Lite" I have not found an alternative. Something changed in Quicken. I find that there are very frequent "hour glass" program delays asking if you want to exit the program or wait. My PC is relatively new with an SSD. the PC is for Quicken only. Would love to hear of any alternative program you have found. Thanks

• RedCab
    RedCab Member ✭✭

@Jerry2 @tbf47

I have the same complaints about performance.

For reference, my QDF is ~350MB; 50 accounts including 3 investment accounts with > 5000 transactions each; 675 quotes

Startup takes 20 secs after entering password. Transaction / quote downloads take > 3 mins.

I have not yet tried "archive investment accounts" which should help when I open those accts with >5000 transactions.

What I have done that has helped is…

Reinstall quicken in my C: drive, making sure that the installation and QDF file is NOT stored the ONEDRIVE Directory

Within Quicken, create an automatic backup after every single session that backs up to a directory INSIDE my ONEDRIVE Dir. Now I have my cloud back up

I also followed the recommendations in this post for graphics acceleration, process priority and anti-virus.

The net is that performance has improved from near death to awkwardly slow. I'm not happy yet, but it's better. I need to upgrade to a Win11 compatible laptop eventually, so when I do that I'll focus on one with high memory bandwidth as I expect that to be the critical path in a database driven application.

This discussion has been closed.