My last saved data file will not open and I desparately need to work on Quicken , Please help!!!
I converted from Quicken2009 to 2013 to the new subscription Quicken.
I have been working for over a month now to get Quicken up-to-date. About 5:00 PM today I called Quicken because my atomatic backup did not work. Someone helped me to make sure it worked and I shut Quicken down for dinner.
Now that I tried to come up again, I was asked to login (never done this before). I think it asked me a question if I was new to Quicken and I answered yes. Now it thinks I have no data????
I can click on my last saved data file, but it does not come up!!!
Please help because Quicken is closed and I still have a lot of work to do!!!!
Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue. I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When you say you click on your last saved data file and it doesn't come up, what exactly is happening? Are you getting any errors, or is it just doing nothing?
It sounds like after logging in, it defaulted to a new, blank data file. If you click on File and look near the bottom of the menu, just above Exit, it should list the 4 most recent files you have been in with the file in the #1 spot being the one you are currently in.
Do you see your original file listed? If so, does clicking on it bring it up, or are you getting an error message?
Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
please explain the details of HOW you are trying to open your Quicken QDF data file
.. from the Quicken FILE menu
… from Windows and double clicking on the QDF file itself
I can click on my last saved data file, but it does not come up!!!QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win100
Thank You Quicken Christina and Ps56k2!
To answer Kristina Questions #1: It does nothing; #2 I have not opened Quicken since I posted my problem because I am afraid and Quicken support is not open on weekends.
To answer Ps56k2 Question: I opened my QDF file by double clicking from Windows.
I thought about what could have happened: I was talking to Quicken support to make sure I get an automatic backup while I exit Quicken during the day, to come back later and correct some files I had lost. Usually, when I leave Quicken at the end of the day I do a backup on an external drive, which I did not do that day because I wanted to do more work. My file structure is Quicken 2023/BACKUP.
After we tested that I do get an automatic, I looked at the data in Quicken 2023 and this is what I saw, I only listed the 5 file names, not all that other stuff:
Evelyne's Quicken Data - Copy
Evelyne's Quicken Data
evelyne's quicken data_SyncLog.dat
Evelyne's Quicken DataOFXLOG - Copy.DAT
Evelyne's Quicken DataOFXLOG.DAT
I asked the Quicken Rep what are those data_SyncLog.dat and DataOFXLOG.DAT files? He did not know. Since I wanted to make Dinner, I asked if I could delete them and he said yes, if you want to. Well, I deleted them and exited Quicken. Now that I think about it, one of those files could probably point to my latest backup file. Since then, I restored those 5 files from my Recycle Bin; however, I am too scared to start Quicken until I make sure I do the right thing and not loose my data that I have worked for a month to restore!!!!
I can wait to tomorrow to talk to Quicken.
@ESM - To me it sounds like you might have double clicked on the Quicken Subscription installation file instead of double clicking on the QDF data file. What makes me think this:
- You were asked to login. This is very common when first installing or reinstalling the software.
- It asked if you were new to Quicken. To my understanding this only happens when the Quicken software is first installed or reinstalled.
- You said "Yes" and you then got a file with no data. Quicken thought you were new to Quicken so it created a new blank data file instead of opening (or allowing you to search for and open) your previous data file. If you had said "No" (which you should have because you are not new to Quicken, just new to Quicken Subscription) you would have been asked to browse to your saved data file so you could open that.
Also, when you updated/saved your data file, did you do those updates with Quicken Subscription or with QWin 2013 or with QWin 2009?
- If you did all the updating of your data file in QWin 2009, you will first need to convert it to QWin 2013. If you need to do this, then you will need to uninstall Quicken Subscription and then install QWin 2013. Then after converting your data file you can install Quicken Subscription and browse to where you saved your data file to open it.
- If you did all the updating of your data file in QWin 2013, then I suggest that you open the Quicken Subscription application. Once open, click on File > Open Quicken File, browse to where you have the data file saved and select and open the file there. This process should convert your QWin 2013 file to a Quicken Subscription file.
- If you did update your data file with Quicken Subscription, then I suggest you open the Quicken Subscription application, click on File > Open Quicken File, browse to where you had saved the data file, select it and open the file there.
If you cannot find your data file or if what you opened contains no or has missing data, then perhaps you opened the wrong data file. In this case I suggest you go to File > Find Quicken Files. This tool will find all compatible data files and backup files on your hard drive. Review the results and try opening files until you find the one that you are looking for.
Did any of this help you find and open the data file you are looking for?
(QW Premier Subscription: R49.29 on Windows 11)0
Hi Boatnmaniac, yes, I should not have done any of your first 3 paragraphs. I was too scared to loose my data file, so I called Quicken Monday morning and she got me quickly working again!!! Finally, today, I corrected all the lost entries from 1/1/2023 to the present for the Banking, Investment and Credit Card sections. I think, I probably did not enter anything new in the Property Section. I did find some weird entries during the Quicken 2009/Quicken 2013 data conversion.
I am glad to hear Quicken Support was able to assist you in resolving the issue.
(QW Premier Subscription: R49.29 on Windows 11)0