Quicken reports duplicate category name when assigning tax form line items for wages

Options
Jonathan
Jonathan Member ✭✭

I have two income categories setup in Tax Planner: (1) "WAGES:Jon" and another (2) "WAGES:MyCompany". I am unable to set the Tax Form Line Item and Associated Category to "WAGES:Jon". Quicken reports this as a duplicate category, even though its not assigned. I am able to assign "WAGES:MyCompany" without any problems. Any ideas?

Best Answer

• Jonathan
    Jonathan Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    That fixed my problem, many thanks! That category (Wages:Jon) was not assigned to W2:Salary.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Jonathan,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Could you please provide more information about this issue? Is this happening when you are trying to assign that category to transactions in your register? Have you gone to Tools>Category List to verify that the category does not already exist? Are you able to provide a screenshot of the error you are seeing (with personal information obscured or blurred out)? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jonathan
    Jonathan Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Kirstina, sorry for the late reply. I need to use two existing categories for tax planning purposes. These both track my income. Quicken correctly linked one of my companies to income. I am trying to associate another existing category for quicken bring in this income into Tax Planner. But I get an error. I attached a file for your reference.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It would help taking a look at the Tools / Category List (*) to see what's in there that could be considered a duplicate category. There must be another category or subcategory "Jon" already in existence elsewhere.

(*) When reviewing your Tools / Category List please make sure that
    • the Category List is set to "Show Full List" and
    • "[x] Show hidden categories" is selected and
    • the list is sorted by category (if the Category column title does not have a "▲" in it, click the title to sort the list) and
    • the grey sidebar is set to show All Categories

• Jonathan
    Jonathan Member ✭✭
    Options
    I do not have any duplicate category for "Wages:Jon" in Income (Or Jon). I do have "Jon" as a subcategory in several expense categories (i.e. Medical:Jon).

My Quicken Category List reports that i have 867 records in Wages:Jon, which is what i need to have Quicken Planner use.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Oh, wait a minute. You had me chasing after the wrong thing with "duplicate category".

Tax Planner should automatically pick up any tax category on file which has

• the correct tax line item assignment (W2:Salary or wages, self) and
    • is flagged as a "Tax related category".

Does this apply to Wages:Jon?

• Jonathan
    Jonathan Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    That fixed my problem, many thanks! That category (Wages:Jon) was not assigned to W2:Salary.
This discussion has been closed.