Windows 11 Quicken file appears and then disappears

Options
Howard1
Howard1 Member ✭✭
Hello,
We just installed Quicken on a new Windows 11 desktop and moved the data file from the old Windows 10 desktop. When we run Quicken and enter the file password, the data file quickly appears and then disappears, leaving a white background with the "Change your Quicken File Password?" prompt. When we dismiss the password prompt, there is only the white background, no data. What does this mean?
Thank you.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What version of Quicken are you running?

Is your subscription still active?

You can get this information from Help > About Quicken.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you given Quicken plenty of time to "work through" that "blank window?" Occasionally I'll get that blank window for whatever reason but, eventually, the file shows up.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The "blank window" you're receiving is the prompt for the Quicken ID and password. You get it because you moved your Quicken data file to a different computer.
    Normally, after a few seconds, the window builds with the necessary information.
    However, if a Windows or a third party Antivirus program or Firewall blocks Quicken from accessing the Internet, this may not happen.

Is Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access enabled?
    If it is, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform these steps

• Howard1
    Howard1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for your responses.

The Quicken version is: Year 2020, Version R26.23, Build 27.1.26.23. This is the last version we have on the h.d. for the Windows 10 computer. I think the subscription is still active, since Quicken still runs on the old Win10 computer. There is no obvious way to update the s/w on the new computer.

We have waited at least four minutes, the window is still blank.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To update to a newer version - if you wish to - you can go here: https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

But the problem might be related to the "annual subscription" situation since that release was issued last May, so you could be right around the time of subscription expiration. Do Help > Manage Your Subscription on the old machine and see what that has to say.

• Howard1
    Howard1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    UKR SuperUser:
    Thank you for your response. We followed your suggestion, but when we get to the Virus & Threat Protection, we do no see the option for " “Manage Ransomware Protection”. Perhaps this is a more recent update to Win11.
    I am starting to suspect that the problem is with the Bitdefender antivirus s/w. I have not been able to figure out how to configure Bitdefender to allow access to whatever folder is needed, perhaps this is the problem but there is no obvious solution.
  • Howard1
    Howard1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    UKR Superuser:
    Sorry, forgot to include screen capture in last message. Here it is.
  • Howard1
    Howard1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I thank all of you for your suggestions.
    I followed Mr. Young's advice and downloaded and installed the update. Then, when I ran Quicken, I was prompted to enter my quicken.com id & password. After I entered, the software now runs. So it was a problem with the outdated version. Thank you all.
This discussion has been closed.