Issues with Attaching/Scanning in Documents

Options
CH8
CH8 Member ✭✭

I have been having repeated issues with attaching documents or scanning in images to individual transactions. Most recently, when I try and scan a receipt into a transaction, instead of the scanner window closing after the document has been scanned and attached, the scanner window stays open and will not close even if I try to exit out of the window. When I enter a transaction on an account, I can enter date, payee, category, notes, and amount, but when I go to attach a file from my computer, it shows the file getting loaded/attached, then immediately deletes all of the other information I entered within that transaction line. When I go back to enter everything in again, the uploaded file is viewable within the attachment window for the transaction, even though I didn't upload it a second time. This happens even if I switch accounts after the initial transaction wipe, a new transaction line in a different account will be showing the uploaded file from the previous transaction. This has been going on for months and none of the recent updates from quicken seem to resolve it. The issue with scanning in files and uploading files started with the updated attachment window started here in the last couple of months. Prior to that I had no issues.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @CH8,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start? Was there anything that happened just before the issue started, such as a power surge, power outage, update, unexpected program or computer shutdown, etc?  Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• CH8
    CH8 Member ✭✭
    Options
    File is saved locally. Nothing happened except for after one of the quicken updates, the attach file window changed. About that time is when this problem started. I have tried three different scanners, same problem with all of them.
  • CH8
    CH8 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Also - I have been on and off the phone with quicken a dozen times over this. Many hours spent trying to resolve. At one point we did get a resolution, by going to the Quicken website and downloading a version file or something like that. Resolved the issue but at some point later it updated again and starting having the problems again.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

It sounds like the work around they gave you over the phone was reverting to a previous version of Quicken.

We do have a Community Alert for people being unable to upload more than one attachment from a scanner without having to restart Quicken each time. It sounds like the issue you're running into is similar, but with some added behaviors not described in the alert.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• CH8
    CH8 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Tried both already - did not fix. Another symptom is that if I go to add a saved file from my computer, not using a scanner, but just adding a saved file. When I add the file to the "transaction attachments" window, when I click "done", instead of going back to the transaction it gives me the notice "do you want to save" - when I click yes it exits the transaction. The paperclip does not show on the transaction to indicate that there is an attachment, but if I click attachments, it shows the file there. I have to go into the transaction a second time, delete the file, re-add, and it does it correctly.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

The next step to troubleshoot the issue would be restoring a backup from before the issue started, if possible, then checking to see if the issue persists in the newly restored file.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• CH8
    CH8 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I restored from the earliest backup I have - no change. Same issues.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

The issue with the paperclip not showing up the way it should is a known issue that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

(CTP-6781)

If you wish to continue troubleshooting the other issues you've been encountering, the next step is to try creating a copy of your data file which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.
    If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

It's important to know that all online services will be disconnected in the copied file, and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• Scott B
    Scott B Member ✭✭
    Options

Having the same issue. It started today after I updated to Version R50.8 Build 27.1.50.8 (Windows 10 Home). I enter all the transaction information into Quicken, attach a receipt pdf, when I go to click "done" with the attachment process, it wipes out all the transaction information I entered. It then leaves the attachment in place on the blank transaction, but then everything needs to be re-entered.

• CH8
    CH8 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you @Sott - I am glad it is not just me.
  • Scott B
    Scott B Member ✭✭
    Options

If it is happening with multiple people & for me started after yesterday's update, it has to be a bug in the update. Any thoughts Quicken Kristina?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

If you believe this is a bug, I would recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

• fred koester
    fred koester Member ✭✭
    Options

Similar problem here. Originally reported the issue with available scanners not showing, paperclip not showing and variations of data disappearing when trying to save. Received notice that the issue has been resolved. Mostly so except for the paperclip not showing. attachments however are saved. manually updated to R50.8. still no paperclip

• andrewwarrenjone
    andrewwarrenjone Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options

I began having this issue immediately after upgrading to R50.8. Exact same symptoms. Reported the problem to quicken as well. I only have this when trying to attach a scanned document to a downloaded transaction. It is as if the downloaded transaction is "unselected" or editing is cancelled after clicking done on the attachment window. If I accept the transaction first, then go to the register and attach a document from my scanner, it works fine.

Tried an old backup…still happens. Tried restarting quicken. Still happens. Tried validating. Still happens.

• Scott B
    Scott B Member ✭✭
    Options
    I tried to duplicate what andrewwarrenjone just posted and my experience is exactly the same. The problem does not occur with entering and attaching to a regular transaction, only when adding an attachment to a downloaded transaction.
  • Quicken Kristina
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.   

(CTP-6983)

Quicken Kristina

• 45MPHK9
    45MPHK9 Member ✭✭
    Options

Similar issue here! Quicken R50.8, 27.1.50.8.

• Jason Terry
    Jason Terry Member ✭✭
    Options

Same Issue on version R50.8 21.1.50.8

• John@33
    John@33 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

I don't understand how this got past any testing…

1. Open your register
    2. Enter transaction details (I do splits 99% of the time) — Payee, memo, amount, splits
    3. Add attachments.

After clicking Done on attachments, all transaction details you just entered are erased, but the attachments are still there.

[Merged Post]

• TBowdish
    TBowdish Member
    Options

Same scanning issues!

• ScaryGirl
    ScaryGirl Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Starting about a week ago, I am having problems attaching receipts to transactions.

(1) If I upload the receipt then manually enter in the transaction I can save. No problem.
    (2) If I manually enter in the transaction and then attach the receipt, it deletes the entire transaction data.
    (3) If I accept a transaction from downloads and go to attach a receipt, it deletes the transaction data.
    (4) If I accept a transaction from downloads, save it and go back to attach the receipt, it deletes all the transaction data.

Accepting downloaded transaction data makes Quicken fast and easy. I typically just add my receipt and save. Quicken is cumbersome now. It takes forever to accept transactions.

What I have tried:
    (1) I've validated, super validated and it did not fix the problem.
    (2) I uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken
    (3) I have created a copy AND a brand new file and the problem replicated on both of those.

This has made Quicken completely unusable at this time. I'd be most grateful for any insight.

[Merged Post}

• ScaryGirl
    ScaryGirl Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

I am having the same problem! Since the 18th!

[Merged Post]

• CH8
    CH8 Member ✭✭
    Options

@scarygirl - yes, same exact issue. I hope Quicken can tackle this because its been going on with me for months. Even invested in a new $500 scanner to see if it was a hardware/software issue external to quicken, but no success.

• ScaryGirl
    ScaryGirl Member ✭✭
    Options

It's making it pretty unusable for us. You would think they could fix it pretty quickly. It only happened right after the update.

• fred koester
    fred koester Member ✭✭
    Options

very poor of quicken, especially since they just charged my card for a renewal

• CH8
    CH8 Member ✭✭
    Options

Everyone should submit a help report to Quicken so they have more data to work with on coming up with a resolution.

• SeaStar
    SeaStar Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same issues here after install of recently released R50.14, Build 27.1.50.14. Will report to Support Team with hopes of quick solution to this disruptive problem.

• Top Rental Homes
    Options

Ditto. I have been having this issue for 6 weeks.

• ScaryGirl
    ScaryGirl Member ✭✭
    Options

I submitted a ticket a week ago…crickets over here.

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

@CH8 There are much better ways of handling "attachments" than doing it in Quicken. The "pros" of doing this is that it is quicken and easier but in reality that is an illusion. The "cons" are many. First to see these attachments you have to open Quicken first, go to the account and then find the transaction that contains the attachment. Next Quicken is based on some very old code and can be broken easily and then you can't access your attachments. Another is where will you be if Quicken decides to no longer support this feature? Also what if Quicken goes out of business then what? Finally and perhaps the biggest reason is that attachments bloat the size of the Quicken QDF data file. There is a better way.

Set up a directory structure that you will store your "attachments" in, it doesn't matter if they are bank statements, investment statements, store receipts etc. Save the scans as PDF (Portable Document File) files. This way you can have immediate access to a scan without involving Quicken. I have an NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive on my local network that I save the scans to. There is a second NAS drive on the network that the first drive backs up to every morning at 1AM. For many things you no longer even need to scan an item. You can download statements from banks and credit card companies already in the PDF format.

I had a friend who did not believe me that I could find a file quicker than he could and I said lets try it out. So first we timed him to pull up a recent bank statement attachment. He started Quicken had to find the attachment and bring it up on the monitor. It took him 2 minutes and 50 seconds. Now it was my turn. I did it in 15 seconds. I had a short cut in the taskbar to quickly access a directory on my NAS drive. Seven clicks later it was on the display. I have Quicken R50.15,Windows 10 22H2 and I use an Epson DS-780N document scanner, Document Capture Pro which is bundled with the scanner.

This discussion has been closed.