Why do cash accounts stop updating once a week?

Options
StevenR
StevenR Member ✭✭

After the end of each week, One-step Update fails to update my cash accounts (checking, savings, credit card). Investment accounts update successfully.

There are no errors. The One-step Update Summary Report simply shows the results for the investment accounts; no other account updates.

Each week, I Deactivate the cash accounts, then add them back. Only then will they update successfully for the remainder of the week. Then stop again a week later.

Neither a file Validate or Super Validate corrects the issue.

What is causing this? Is there a resolution of some kind?

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @StevenR,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start? Was there anything that happened just before the issue started, such as a power surge, power outage, update, unexpected program or computer shutdown, etc?  Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• StevenR
    StevenR Member ✭✭
    Options

This issue has actually been happening for more than a couple of months; so I can't say what might have happened immediately before the issue first presented itself. Where I live, we frequently have power "blips"/outages. Not an issue for years past; or, maybe older versions.

My Quicken data file is stored locally; C:/drive, Documents folder. It's not synched with any other service, nor on any network.

*I might add that I can sometimes use the "Reset Account" option to get things working each week. However, the results are a bit less reliable than Deactivating the accounts and re-adding them.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When you start One Step Update, please go into Settings.
    Are your bank accounts enabled for downloading (all checkmarks present?).
    Click Apply, then click Update Now to run OSU.

You may also want to do this:
    • Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
    • Click the "Sign in as a different user" link on the right side.
    • Sign out, then sign back in to your Quicken account using your existing Quicken ID.

• StevenR
    StevenR Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, all accounts are enabled (have a checkmark) in the One-step Update Settings. I might also add that when the One-step update is running, the processing window display suggests that cash accounts are actually being updated; but in the end, the Summary report only displays the Investments accounts as successful. Cash accounts are not updated.

At this time, I've gone through the deactivate/re-add, so things are working normally … and will probably do so for the rest of the week. Next Sunday (5/11/2023) will likely be the next occurrence of this issue, and I will try your suggestion to "Sign in as a different user" and report back.

Thanks for any & all suggestions!

• StevenR
    StevenR Member ✭✭
    Options

This issue occurred again today (5/10/2023) rather than tomorrow as I was expecting. (Still … an end-of-week kind of thing.)

I followed UKR's suggestion: I went through the "Sign in as a different user" process; then ran another One-step Update. It successfully completed an update of ALL accounts - both cash accounts and investment accounts. HOWEVER … even though new transactions were updated to my Wells Fargo cash account(s), the Update summary report showed an error CC-800 for those 3 accounts.

I will likely need to go through the deactivate/re-add process for those accounts to resolve the error. And it will certainly be easier to do that with just 3 accounts rather than all of them.

So, signing in as a different user is an option to get all accounts updated more quickly. But I'm not confident it will prevent the end-of-week update failure even after I fix the CC-800 error. What I'm expecting:

1) I'll update daily for a few days to see if the WF accounts continue to update despite the CC-800 error;

2) At some point, I will fix the CC-800 error; and

3) Expect the One-step Update to fail again next weekend as I originally described.

• StevenR
    StevenR Member ✭✭
    Options

The expectations I expressed in my last post were met: WF accounts were updated despite a CC-800 error. I eventually fixed the error and all was well until Sunday (6/18/2023) when the original issue presented itself again.

At the very least, I now have a somewhat quicker method for correcting this oddity. At least for one week at a time.

But at each week's end, the issue of cash accounts NOT updating occurs again, and I go through the processes described in this discussion to correct it for another week. It's quite frustrating……..

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When looking at the OSU Summary view, please make sure that, at the bottom of the Summary view, there is a checkmark at "show just the last update". Otherwise you may be seeing old error messages from prior updates for a while.

• StevenR
    StevenR Member ✭✭
    Options

I've already corrected the issue for this coming week, and just ran an update. Yes, there is a checkmark on "Show just the last update." (And I wouldn't expect that setting to change, but will certainly keep it in mind when the issue occurs again this weekend.)

I don't believe this is just an issue with the messages on the Summary Report. The cash accounts are not updated when this issue occurs, so the report is essentially in synch with what takes place: no update, no message indicating so.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

@StevenR What bank holds these accounts? There MIGHT be a known problem with the bank

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• StevenR
    StevenR Member ✭✭
    Options

Multiple banks.

I've already mentioned Wells Fargo (3 accounts). And I've 3 cc accounts with BofA, CapOne and DISC. With four, major banks involved, one would think I could find some information or reporting of this issue occurring and/or being a "known" issue months ago. But I couldn't find anything … thus, my post.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try creating a TEST file with a few of these accts and see if the issue repeats there

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• StevenR
    StevenR Member ✭✭
    Options

Certainly worth a try, thanks!

I'll create a new, clean data file (.QDF), add the accounts, and see what happens. Too bad the issue only occurs at the end of the week. It may take a few weeks to fully recognize whether the issue is present in the 'test' file…or not.

• StevenR
    StevenR Member ✭✭
    Options

Update.

Well, it's been 3 weeks. The "test" data file (.QDF) has NOT presented the issue described in this thread at all. The original QDF file, as has been usual, continues to stop updating cash accounts at the end of each week.

Ergo, the issue seems to be unique to my original data file. I couldn't think of, nor find, any particular "setting" that is different between the two and that might trigger this type of behavior. So I'm at a loss.

It would be nice to have a fix so that I could keep my original data file with all it's history. But, if the problem becomes extremely annoying, I suppose I can go through the effort of establishing a new and complete file; essentially, starting from scratch. :-(

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Since you've already tried a validate/super validate and that didn't correct the issue, there are a couple options. If you have a recent backup from before the issue started, you can try restoring that recent backup. If that's not a viable option, then I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.
    If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

It's important to know that all online services will be disconnected in the copied file, and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• StevenR
    StevenR Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for the suggestions, Kristina. Unfortunately, the issue has been going on long enough that I do not have a backup file 'prior' to it's start.

Creating a copy of my original data file sounds like a viable (and hopeful) option. When I can prepare myself for the effort of doing so and re-connecting all online accounts, I'll give it a try; perhaps within the next few days.

As usual, after making the copy, it will likely be a couple weeks or more to solidly establish whether or not the copying resolves this issue. But I'll certainly report back one way or the other.

• StevenR
    StevenR Member ✭✭
    Options

Update.

As Kristina suggested, I successfully made a "copy" of my data file, verified historical data retention, then re-connected all accounts. Every day since, I've run a One-step Update on both the original data file and the "copy" data file.

So far (two weeks), the "copy" data file has continued to update successfully; i.e., this issue was apparently NOT included in the copying process. YEA!! (The original data file stopped updating cash accounts each week, as usual.)

Can't say the issue was "fixed" (since cause remains unknown), but it has definitely been RESOLVED! Thank you to everyone who contributed to that ultimate resolution.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear the issue has been resolved. If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.