Erroneous Uncategorized in a Report

Options
acs2
acs2 Member ✭✭✭

I am using Quicken premier Windows 10. I created a new report of all transactions for the this year subtotaled by category. There's an Expense Total for uncategorized for a large $ amount BUT all transactions are appropriately $0.00. I simply changed the date to last year and the uncategorized total was correct for that year. I ran validate and repair but this did not correct the problem. I do not know how to correct this. Help, please.

Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @acs2,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start? Are you able to include a screenshot (with any personal information obscured or blurred out) to make it easier to see the issue you're encountering? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• acs2
    acs2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for replying. I have included a snippet of the report. The uncategorized Expense has a total but i crossed it ou. All expenses below that are zero. Some of them are shown. I deleted the report and recreated it. The results were the same. I have noticed the issue in the last few weeks
    Thanks
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

If you haven't done so already, I would recommend you backup your file, then run a Super Validate. The steps to do that are below:

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• acs2
    acs2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I tried super validate. I waited over 10 sec. Opened the file. I deleted the erroneous report. Rebuilt it. Same problem. BTW, I have other Quicken files with the same report and they work fine.
    Any additional ideas? Thanks
  • acs2
    acs2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's a clue. I decided to do a find/replace on the amount of the uncategorized expense total. I found an investment transaction as per the attached which is for that exact amount though the transaction is for shares. That remove transaction does not ask for a category but it appears in the total $ for uncategorized without any associated item entry. Each line item in uncategorized expenses is zero. All of this occurred because an investment account of one security was moved to another account of many securities by my broker. The auto download created a remove shares as per attached that was for the erroneous $. The Quicken download also created Add shares to the new account for each transaction in the old account that spanned many years.
    Seems like a download problem
    Thoughts?
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

It is possible that the way the transaction downloaded makes Quicken think it is an uncategorized transaction. How you tried deleting and recreating the transaction? If that does not work or isn't a viable option, I would recommend restoring a backup from before the issue started and check to see if the issue persists in the newly restored file.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• acs2
    acs2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Kristina,

I deleted the transaction and used a slightly different action. It worked!

I have another situation where I bought bonds within an existing account. These investment transaction are list as uncategorized in a report I ran. The amount in Quicken is zero so it does not have impact on my reports. I find it strange that this transaction is uncategorized in my report since the Buy Bonds does not ask for a category. It 'feels' like a quicken bug. BTW, I deleted and reentered but that did not help

Thanks for your help

Arthur

This discussion has been closed.