Can anyone make the constant balance adjustments stop???

Options
jefflayton
jefflayton Member ✭✭
I am having the same issues as this thread:
https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7931781/constant-balance-adjustments-make-it-stop

Only there isn't an answer listed in the thread.

I have been a Quicken user since the 1980's (seriously). I too am a Chase Bank customer.

It's gotten so I can't trust the balances anymore. Today, Quicken entered a $2140.51 deduction to my checking account for a balance adjustment. Just yesterday it entered a $2140.51 credit. Sometimes it takes a few days, sometimes it's the next day like this one.

That's a lot of money to be fudging around with. Does anyone have a resolution? It's making me look for Quicken replacements that I can trust like I once trusted Quicken.

Thanks
Tagged:

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Are these due to pending transactions being included in the online balance?

If so, it isn't going to stop until the financial institutions and Intuit (the aggregation service provider) and Quicken get that issue sorted out.

I would suggest NOT reconciling to the online balance and changing to reconcile to paper statement. It is a work around, but users aren't reporting your issue when doing the paper statement reconcile.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jefflayton
    jefflayton Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for your response & suggestion. I haven't taken the time to go add up all the pending transactions to see if they total the same - I could do that, I suppose. The primary offender is our family account, so there's always a lot of transactions in it.

I'm thinking back to Quicken 1.0 for DOS 3.3 which I started running in 1988: I think my modem connected with the bank then - not 100% sure - but the thought of using paper statements to reconcile is such a forehead-slap in 2023, TBH.

Chase has had pending transactions showing for the 15+ years I've used them. I'm not sure if the offender is a change on the Chase side or on the Quicken side, but this defeats a lot of the purpose & value of Quicken.

I've started looking for alternative products since Quicken for Windows is so dated & this problem is a pretty basic miss that has persisted for quite some time now. But I use two features that are hard to find somewhere else:
    1) Savings Goals - this allows me to allocate funds in one account to multiple purposes. So savings can have 'vacation' and 'christmas' tags in it using Savings Goals.
    2) Bill & Income reminder allows me to budget far out in the future, planning and remembering bills (and income), and automatically entering them. Great for things like Annual car registrations, etc.
  • Proy1
    Proy1 Member
    Options

I have the same issue, I use Bank of America and everytime I update, I have to make a balance adjustment. This has just started doing this in the last month or so. What changed?

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

One of the other superusers reported that he has issues with BofA when he updates in the evening, but it works (generally) if he does it in the morning.

Allowing Quicken to make balance adjustments when you think it shouldn't be needed is a mistake.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm pretty sure the problem isn't a Quicken (program) problem as much as it is an artifact of the movement away from Direct Connect, which provided something very close to "real time" information, to EWC/EWC+ in which the aggregator "polls" the financial institutions once in a while, (and maybe just once a day and maybe late at night), for updates, which is why "morning" OSUs tend to work better than "evening" OSUs.

"Quicken entered a $2140.51 deduction to my checking account for a balance adjustment. Just yesterday it entered a $2140.51 credit."

I believe that "account balance" information at banks is kept absolutely up to date, to the second, while actual "detail" transactions processing can and does occur "some time later." Sounds to me like that's what happened to you.

This discussion has been closed.