Does Quicken support - IRS Identity Protection PIN? (edit)

1dicks1
1dicks1 Quicken Windows 2017 Member
edited July 2023 in Before you Buy

to prevent thief from filing fraudulent tax return from using my social security number.

Reason: recently I was hacked and thieves got my tax returns.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for here. You can password protect Quicken data files so that any attempt to open one of those files will ask for that password. Transmission of information between the Quicken file and financial institutions are encrypted such that your UserID and Password with the financial institutions are safe from prying eyes. Your Social Security Number isn't stored anywhere in Quicken.

The "fraudulent tax return" problem exists pretty much independent of Quicken as far as I can determine.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Your Social Security Number isn't stored anywhere in Quicken.

Some (not most) financial institutions require the use of the person's SSN as the UserID for DC connections. But that information get stored in the Password Vault with is also password protected so prying eyes can not see it.

I have not seen any financial institution require the use of the SSN for EWC or EWC+ connections.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭

not sure what you mean by …. Identity Protection PIN -

you might be referring to - multi factor authentication - or two-factor authentication -
    where you receive a text of a PIN…. to be entered into a prompt -

Quicken itself does not have a 2FA -
    but each financial institution sets up their own security, which is just passed thru to Quicken.

As mentioned - Quicken can password protect your Quicken QDF data file - and transmitted data is encrypted.
    There is nowhere in Quicken where a SSN is used - but of course your financial account numbers, ID & passwords are -

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

I think you guys may be misunderstanding the question. IRS issues identity protection PINs when needed. Quicken does not support these in any way.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

But IRS Identity Protection PINs are for filing federal income taxes. Quicken doesn't generate tax forms, so I'm not sure I understand how an Identity Protection PIN could have any relevance to Quicken.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

updated topic title to better reflect actual discussion

the random things you learn around here -

This discussion has been closed.