small business- will it fit my needs

Options
howie alan
howie alan Member
edited July 2023 in Before you Buy

I've been using quickbooks which now has become too expensive and I use few of the features. Here's what I need:

Write and print checks and categorize them (ie Rent, Electric, waste removal, etc)

Allow me to put in my own expense categories

run simple reports- date range and display expenses by category and totals per category. Date range selection and report on expenses per payee

either automatically download transactions from the bank or manually download and mark as cleared

Quickly run a report on a payee so I can see if i've already paid them before writing a duplicate check

That's all i've used quick books for. Will quicken do this?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Quicken can do each of the things you mention above. If you don't need any of the more advanced accounting features of QuickBooks or strict double-entry bookkeeping, then Quicken might suit your needs.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you buy Quicken and find you do not like it or it does not meet your needs, within 30 days of purchase you can cancel your subscription and get a full refund.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can continue to use the same paper checks you used with Quickbooks.
    Just remember to set up for Printing Checks and select the correct check style:

- For 3-per-page personal size checks choose "Wallet Checks (Check 21 ...)", not "Wallet Checks" (unless you still use some very old unsupported stock from many years ago)
    - For 3-per-page business size checks choose "Standard Checks", not "Voucher Checks".
    - For 1-per-page business size checks with 2 stubs choose "Voucher Checks".

Your checking account register in Quicken will easily show you which checks you have printed already.

• Ron S
    Ron S Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

We are a small HOA and currently use QuickBooks Desktop Pro for the association accounting.  We mainly use Customer info (name & address), expense/billing items, budgeting, Invoice/batch Invoice, apply late fees, monthly statements, checking account and bank import, and various reports features in QuickBooks. I would like to inquire if the same functionality is available in Quicken Home and Business.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd suggest buying H&B and seeing if it works for you … taking note of @Boatnmaniac's advice above.

ALSO NOTE, however, that no version of Q can import a QB data file. You'd be starting from scratch

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.