Citizens Bank: Unable to manually download transactions (QMAC)

Options
euromixer
euromixer Member ✭✭✭

Citizens bank recently updated their banking website. QFX is no longer an option for file format to manually download. They only list CSV, QBO, QBX, OFX and QIF. I tried OFX and it would not open in my quicken for Mac 2023 version. Would any of these other file types open? Any ideas?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Is there a reason you're trying to download a file to import into Quicken, rather than connecting with Citizens Bank (Quicken Connect) to download your transactions? I have a Citizens Bank account, and Quicken downloads continue to work for me.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • euromixer
    euromixer Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Citizens announced they are no longer allowing automatic downloads (with quicken connect) to download transactions, so have had to do them manually for months now since they changed.

• jacobs
    Options

Citizens announced they are no longer allowing automatic downloads (with quicken connect) to download transactions, so have had to do them manually for months now since they changed.

Hmm, that's news to me. My Quicken Connect downloads have worked continually — including earlier today. I wonder if we're talking about two different Citizens Banks? Are you in the mid-Atlantic/northeast part of the country? Is this the logo of yours?

If so, then Citizens does still support Quicken Connect, as shown here:

• RSMALONE
    RSMALONE Member ✭✭
    Options

This was related to their 'new' platform of 7/1/23 that no longer allows quicken web connect - I have been calling every day and get the same answer - they do not support Quicken any more. The files are as someone said - and no more QFX downloads. Very terrible awful upsetting. Have used Quicken for years and have a 30 yr account history with Quicken and probably 15 years of online banking.

• jacobs
    Options

@RSMALONE @euromixer Can you both confirm whether your Citizens Bank is the one operating in east coast states, using the website citizensbank.com? (I'm asking because there are multiple Citrizens banks around the country, which are not connected.)

As I replied to the previous message, my transactions continue to download successfully. I just did an update for the account, and although there were no transactions to download, it clearly connected and reported no errors:

(I should have a few transactions posted tonight, so I can see if they download tomorrow.)

Meanwhile, I tried the same account in a test file on an older Mac; it hadn't connected in more than a month, and it successfully connected and downloaded 46 new transactions without error.

The FAQ on the website shows:

And on the new web page for my checking account it clearly shows support of exports for Quicken:

Clicking the "Quicken using WebConnect" successfully downloaded a "file.qfx" data file, complete with transaction data.

So again, I'm wondering if we're talking about the same Citizens Bank?

– – – – –

Assuming for a moment that it's a different Citizens Bank than the one I use, and they have indeed withdrawn support for Quicken, then yes, that would be upsetting. I'd only note that the upset/complaints should be directed at Citizens Bank, not Quicken; Quicken works with any bank which supports it, but there's nothing they can do if the bank expressly withdraws support of Quicken for online connections as well as exporting .qfx files. The more customers of the bank who complain to them about it, including threatening to close your account to move to a different bank, the greater the chance they might reconsider their decision to drop Quicken support.

• euromixer
    euromixer Member ✭✭✭
    Options

So some good news… INITIALLY with the troubled roll out of the updated Citizensbank.com site…… they did NOT have a QFX file attached to the DOWNLOAD FOR QUICKEN link… it was a QIF file…… I just checked tonight at your prompting and sure enough they fixed it and it is indeed a *.QFX file… which is great

For QUICKEN DOWNLOAD I am using Citizens Bank Mid Atlantic Consumer Web selection….. and while it used to download same day data which was available at 6:00am EST… it now takes up to 48 hrs to download information. It is downloading for ME at least 2 days later. It's at the point that my 20 year relationship with them is something I am considering ending and going with ALLIANT CREDIT UNION which has high interest on savings account and an award winning website and outstanding app.Very disappointed with Citizens Bank these days.. Very archaic app too.

• RSMALONE
    RSMALONE Member ✭✭
    Options

Citizens Bank, N.A. - signing in to online banking. On the particular account, EXPORt lists Quicken Web connect but it does not create a QFX file but rather an OFX which of course QUicken won't open on import. Any more ideas?

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files, a sanitized data file, and screenshots (if possible) attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• lp2023
    lp2023 Member
    Options

Just tuned in to all of this. Same thing happened to me, new citizens export/download created all sorts of problems for me last month, not doing it again. Very impressed with the people here who seem to be doing Citizen's programmer job better than the Citizen's employees seem able to do. This is bringing back really bad memories with Quicken (had it for a very long time, left, relatively recently came back); maybe not fair as it sounds like its on Citizens. Which makes me nervous about my banking with them. Many years and many accounts with Citizens later I may be on the hunt again. And a plain old free spreadsheet is looking better and better again because I've already "simplified" my Quicken experience to the point of not using most of it's capabilities. So frustrating and time consuming for the customer.

• RSMALONE
    RSMALONE Member ✭✭
    Options

Agree - and I can export .csv but not qfx

• joanjps
    joanjps Member ✭✭
    Options

Still not working - it downloads "file" as web connect but does not integrate in the register. Any solutions/luck by others? Thanks

• jacobs
    Options

Is there a reason you're logging into Citizens bank's website and downloading a file rather than using Quicken Connect to download directly into Quicken? That has worked for me — and I just did an update and it still works.

• jacobs
    Options

I also just decided to try downloading a file from Citizens Bank and importing it into Quicken. It worked for me. The downloaded file is "file.qfx", and it did import properly into Quicken.

That said, the data Citizens puts in the QFX file is significantly inferior to the data in the Quicken Connect downloads, because the QFX file has no payee names — every transaction has Preauthorized Debit, Direct Deposit, Check or ATM Cash as the Payee names. This can be verified by opening the QFX file in a text editor (TextEdit). This isn't a Quicken problem, since this is the file downloaded from Citizens Bank.

But as noted above, I use Quicken Connect to download from Citizens inside Quicken, and that works smoothly. For clarity, I'm using the Citizens Bank connection for "Citizens Banks - Mid Atl Cons. Web".

• Lynn Dracup
    Lynn Dracup Member ✭✭
    Options

My quicken CHECKING accounts continue to update from within Quicken via web connect - however, my Home Equity Line of Credit managed to attach itself in quicken to a CLOSED (both in Quicken and with the issuing bank) Credit Card account, changing the account detail information to reflect the info at citizens for the account. The existing Home Equity account (in quicken) is set to connect via the Mid Atlantic… connection, which is not working. I am Not given the ability to change the connection to web connect - the functionality is not available - no drop down, no ability to type in the box, etc. I am EXTREMELY frustrated. The citizens interface was FINALLY working properly (no duplicates, etc) for 2 whole months immediately prior to the Investors Bank merger changes and now I'm back to frustration city. The Home Equity account does not offer an export option on the citizens site, the checking accounts still do (of course, because I don't need them right now)

This discussion has been closed.