Prompt for year of tax payment with wrong year

Options
EmKay
EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭

I have a vague recollection of either having asked this before or seeing that someone did, but I cannot remember or find the post.

When entering my estimated tax payments (state/fed) for 2023 on 6/12/2023, I get a prompt asking, "Is this transaction a payment of taxes for year 2022?"

Should it not be prompting me, at this point, if they're for 2023?

And - if I say no - how do I correctly indicate that they're for 2023, or do I not have to?

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @EmKay,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. That prompt is just to determine if you're making a tax payment for last year or an estimated tax payment for the current year. Per the Quicken Help article, when tracking estimated tax payments, you would want to create a new category, such as Fed Est Tax and assign it to Form 1040:Federal estimated tax, qrtrly.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina So, if it's for the current year and I answer "no" to the prior year prompt, it correctly is registered as an estimated payment for the current year? Just making sure that I understand…

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

As long as you have the correct category with the correct tax line information selected, then yes, it will see it for the current year. The article I referenced in my earlier post provides the information on which categories/tax line items are recommended.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have a vague recollection of either having asked this before or seeing that someone did, but I cannot remember or find the post.

Perhaps this post?

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@q_lurker that question was very similar, but not exactly the same.

This discussion has been closed.