Bond transactions incorrect

Options
Tractorboyflys
Tractorboyflys Member ✭✭
edited August 2023 in Investing (Windows)

When I enter bond purchases and sales Quicken changes the quantities and price. Follow the transaction below. See how QW is creating errors.

Bonds Bought

Enter purchase date
Enter Security Name (Add new Security)
Enter Quantity = 80
Enter Price = $99.643
Enter Total Cost = $7971.44
Enter/Done

Review transaction in register
Quantity Now = 800
Price Now = $9.9643
Total Cost = $7971.44

Edit transaction in register
Quantity Now = 80
Price Now = $9.9643
Total Cost = $7971.44

See how the quantity and price do not reflect the entered tranaction.

If I change the Quantity to 8 the price changes to $99.643
Quantity Now = 8
Price Now = $99.643
Total Cost = $7971.44

Now Review transaction in register
Quantity Now = 80
Price Now = $99.643
Total Cost = $7971.44

Bonds Sold

Enter Sold date
Enter Security Name
Enter Quantity = 80
Calculates Price = $10.00
Enter Total Cost = $8000
Enter/Done

Review transaction in register
Quantity Now = 800
Price Now = $10.00
Total Cost = $8000.00

Quantity Now = 80
Price Now = $10.00
Total Cost = $8000.00

If I change the Quantity to 8 the price changes to $100.00
Quantity Now = 8
Price Now = $100.00
Total Cost = $8000.00

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Tractorboyflys,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

Before I can further assist you, I require some more information. When did you first notice this issue? After a recent update? If so, which update? How long ago did you notice this issue? What exactly occurs?

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken operates with consideration to how bonds have historically been bought and priced. That is bonds have been historically as nominal $1000 items. In that view, you bought 8 $1000 bonds for a total cost of $7,971.44 ($996.43 per bond).

But bond are typically priced on a $100 par value. That is, the $1000 bond you paid $996.43 for gets prices reported in the $100 range ($99.643).

All that means that Quicken has to adjust for that difference. In doing so, the program adjusts the 8 $1000 bonds you bought for $996.43 each to 80 shares of a security priced at $99.643 each. So when using the Bonds Bought action, the correct info is a Quantity of 8 and a total cost of $7,971.44 (skipping the accrued interest consideration for this discussion). Quicken then adjusts that to buying the 80 shares for that same total cost.

On the Sale end, I prefer to simply sell the 80 “shares”. I can’t quote the behavior of the SoldBonds action at this time.

Hope this helps.

• WreckDiver1
    WreckDiver1 Member ✭✭
    Options

So I have now seen this question posted (in different manners) two or three times now.

First, I don't understand "$100 par value". My statement gives:
    QUANTITY
    PRICE
    (also in this was Accrued Interest, Commissions and fees).

My issue is if I have a quantity of 50,000 at a price of $97, and I put that into the BONDS BOUGHT form, I get over $48 MILLION total cost. If I divide the Price by 100 (I'm GUESSING that's what the $100 par value is), I STILL get a $488K Total Cost.

This is nuts, either this is a very counter-intuitive system, or something is broken.
    NOTE: If I divide the Number of bonds by 10 as well as divide the 'price' by 100 I get the correct Total Cost, BUT my TOTAL MARKET VALUE is now off by a factor of 10! I mean, I'd love to have a market value of $5M, but it's not true.

Many others it seems are having difficulties along these lines!

Any help that helps would be appreciated. I tried following the instructions (Note, can't post links yet, so bear with me): https:// help . quicken . com / display / MAC / Buying+bonds (remove spaces to get link to work)

But again, those instructions DO NOT WORK. I'm still a multi-millionaire based on using those instructions.

Pulling my hair out here…spent HOURS AND HOURS working on this, and it just doesn't work! It has to be something stupid and easy, but I don't know what that is. BTW: My Security for the "UNITED STATES TREASERURY BA-2024 NTS NOTE" is set as a BOND in the Quicken Security list as well (I saw a post that said Quicken needs it set to bond to work). So I'm out of ideas.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Quicken "flow" for buy, selling and pricing bonds does seem to be slightly odd to me, but it also seems logical within the program and not that difficult to figure out. I've bought and sold a few bonds over the decades and haven't had too much trouble getting things properly stated.

This shows up in the Transaction List slightly different:

You should be able to "translate" whatever you're seeing on a broker's statement to the Quicken convention, and get it to work.

This discussion has been closed.