QM 2007 register loses new transactions when closed

Options
MaryLRB
MaryLRB Member ✭✭

I'm currently using Quicken for Mac 2007 under Mac OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra).

For the last week, when I open one register it only shows transactions up through 2015. No other files are affected.

Yesterday I could open a backup file from a few days previous and see all the data up to that point, but after I re-input the newest transactions and close the program, the next time I opened QM it showed the corrupted file. Today when I choose from backup files for the last few days they all end in 2015.

Is there any way to fix this one register? It contains data starting in 2004, so I can't afford to lose it but I need it for ongoing use.

I'm starting to panic. Any help will be much appreciated.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Things to progressively try. If one does not work, try the next (the file might be corrupt OR it might be "full" (the file can only handle so many transactions PER ACCOUNT) —- first make sure you have good backups of the file you are working on.

1. Rebuild the index - Press COMMAND-OPT-B (you should see dialogue boxes come showing progress)
    2. Create a new copy of the file by selecting File > Save a copy… (this will create a new file and recover any unused space created from deleting transactions over time)
    3. Repeat #2 but select a date to exclude older data… This will make the data file smaller and allow more data to be saved.
    4. OR try to split accounts by using QIF export/import to create new accounts (let us know if you want to try this).

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you haven't done so already, I would run the utility to reindex the transaction file: Press Command-Option-B and let it churn for a bit. The Quicken 2007 database is prone to occasional data corruption. I experienced this a number of times in the final years I was using it; date would appear to have disappeared, but if I scrolled through the file, data was there but out of order — and re-indexing would generally fix it. But I did have one corruption where some data was lost; it's been too many years now for me to remember the specific details.

Post back if that fixes anything or if you're still stuck.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just to be clear, do you have a data file with data more current than 2015? Are you saying that in only one data file, you are missing newer data?

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• MaryLRB
    MaryLRB Member ✭✭
    Options

I need to distinguish between backup files and transaction registers within those files.

I do have backup files, containing all my accounts and registers in one file. It is my understanding that a new backup file is created each time I quit the app.

Only one register within the files is affected. When I use the Open File command, I can access a previous backup file with up-to-date registers for all my accounts. . When I add new data to this one register for Cash it doesn't get saved and the next time I open that backup file, the Cash register ends in 2015.

It appears that closing the program and saving a new backup file, is somehow affecting that one register within the file. I need to find a way to use a backup data file to update the register and save it without losing all my transactions back to 2015.

Hope this is clearer …

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Things to progressively try. If one does not work, try the next (the file might be corrupt OR it might be "full" (the file can only handle so many transactions PER ACCOUNT) —- first make sure you have good backups of the file you are working on.

1. Rebuild the index - Press COMMAND-OPT-B (you should see dialogue boxes come showing progress)
    2. Create a new copy of the file by selecting File > Save a copy… (this will create a new file and recover any unused space created from deleting transactions over time)
    3. Repeat #2 but select a date to exclude older data… This will make the data file smaller and allow more data to be saved.
    4. OR try to split accounts by using QIF export/import to create new accounts (let us know if you want to try this).

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you haven't done so already, I would run the utility to reindex the transaction file: Press Command-Option-B and let it churn for a bit. The Quicken 2007 database is prone to occasional data corruption. I experienced this a number of times in the final years I was using it; date would appear to have disappeared, but if I scrolled through the file, data was there but out of order — and re-indexing would generally fix it. But I did have one corruption where some data was lost; it's been too many years now for me to remember the specific details.

Post back if that fixes anything or if you're still stuck.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MaryLRB
    MaryLRB Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks to both smayer97 and jacobs for your suggestions. I just did the reindexing and it seems to have worked: when I opened the Cash register everything was there. Whew!!!!!

This community is always so helpful. I can't tell you how relieved and grateful I am.

This discussion has been closed.