Quicken Locks up During data backup

Options
Dennis Freeman
Dennis Freeman Member ✭✭

I am in the habit of backing up my data after every use. Since the last build, the program freezes during the backup. I cannot stop the freeze. When I check the drive with the backup in it, is is present, when I go back to quicken it is still frozen. I just went back to quicken, it is still frozen. Task manager won't close it either.

Any suggested solutions?

Denny

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Dennis Freeman,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

Before I can further assist you, I require some more information. When did this issue begin to occur? After a recent update? If so, which update? What occurs when attempting to close out of Quicken using task manager? Do you receive any error codes or messages?

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Dennis Freeman
    Dennis Freeman Member ✭✭
    Options

This is happening since the last update R50.16. The backup does complete to my "D" drive (a separate physical drive). then, the quicken screen goes black with just the splash screen backing up remains. I can still open and run other programs for a short time, then the only way I can restart is to reboot. I don't recall any messages, just the black screen and the hang.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:
    • Even if you are on the latest software level already, download and install the latest Manual Patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product to ensure your Quicken software is up to date and correctly installed.
    • Reboot Windows.
    • Run both Validate and Supervalidate to attempt to repair your Quicken data file.
    • If nothing helps, try to restore your Quicken data file from an Automatic or Manual backup taken just prior to the problems first occurring. https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    First save a backup file prior to performing these steps
    Validate: 
    • Click File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots".
    • If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    • Click File
    • Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Supervalidate File
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• Dennis Freeman
    Dennis Freeman Member ✭✭
    Options

I did all the above, and in the process received the attached error messages. After the Super Validate, the problem persists, to the point where I have to shut off power to my computer to get the backing up screen to go away. When I open windows, I can update data, save the data, and when the backup screen pops up, the same lockup occurs.

Just as an aside, can I change the name of my data file in the file explorer, and then just double click it to open quicken? It has been appended during the whole process?

Thanks for your help. What would you suggest as a next step?

The first error was "Unknown error in opening data file"

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In this case:

• If nothing helps, try to restore your Quicken data file from an Automatic or Manual backup taken just prior to the problems first occurring.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

or contact Quicken Support on the phone during posted hours of operation

This discussion has been closed.