Duplicate Securities

Options
Ramias
Ramias Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2023 in Investing (Mac)

My Quicken File is full of duplicate securities spanning nearly the entire alphabet. The duplicates all have the same symbol. For example, AUTODESK INC and AUTODESK INC COM. I know I can merge these securities. But I have 1249 securities Quicken is tracking (for whatever reason… maybe every stock I've ever held at any time?). When I go to merge, one, with years of history, says the two have different values on 118 days. I'm not too torn up over that (though it would be very hard to find the days where they differ so I just hope it is due to small decimal rounding).

Is there an automated way to clean these up? If not, which should I choose? Should I keep ASTRAZENECA ADR REP 0.5 ORD or ASTRAZENECA ADR REP 0.5 ORD (AZN)? They both show with the same ticker? And how can I prevent new securities with existing tickers being created, just because the security label name has a cosmetic change on a future download?

Comments

• Ramias
    Ramias Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I just tried to manually create a new security called "3M NEW" with ticker of MMM (which I already have two of) and could not manually create it. These current dupes have all been created through downloads over time.

Here's a screen shot showing multiple securities with the same ticker. . Yes I can merge these (even better if there was a tool that could do this) but before I do I'd like to make sure I merge the right one such that my next round of downloads doesn't create new duplicates again.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Ramias,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start? Do you recall which version of Quicken you were using when it started? Were these duplicates added manually, or were the duplicates downloaded from the financial institution? Which financial institution(s) is this happening with? Is this affecting multiple investment accounts, or just one?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Ramias
    Ramias Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I do not recall when it first started. Multiple accounts, all with fidelity. None added manually. All downloaded from Fidelity.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

For your question about which one to keep and which to merge into it, I'd look to see which has been used most recently, and merge the other(s) into that one.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.