Menu Toolbar Reports

Options
FredArthur
FredArthur Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2023 in Reports (Windows)

This problem was report by @Bob_L
Bob_L
 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭June 2020 edited May 2022 
I have several report folders on my toolbar.  If I select the Manage toolbar reports button from the reports & graph center it shows the folders I have on the toolbar.  However some of the folders are shown with empty check boxes even though all of the reports in the folder are in fact already included on the toolbar.  Checking the box at the folder level appears to work but every time I come back to that manage toolbar reports screen that particular box is always unchecked.

The last update about this problem was made by Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭April 2021 edited April 2021

There is no ETA.

The discussion has been closed.

Just wondering what happens now? What is catastrophic about this problem is, if you add a new folder and don't check the ones currently shown, the current folders will disappear from the toolbar. I keep a screen shot so I can recover from this situation.

Thank you

Quicken Windows Subscription: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H2.
(I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version.)
Tagged:

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't know about working with Saved Reports in the Quicken Toolbar. I don't use this feature. There isn't enough space on my toolbar for a bunch of additional icons.
    As a workaround, have you tried using the Reports & Graphs Center? I use it instead when working with Saved Reports. For one-click access you can add its icon to the Quicken Toolbar.

• FredArthur
    FredArthur Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your response. Yes, I use the Reports & Graphs Center but it requires a lot of navigation to locate a particular report as opposed to pinning a folder to the toolbar. As you say, .. there isn't enough space on my toolbar … you must have pinned your favorite features to the toolbar to get quick access to them and I do the same with a subset of my reports.

But I am curious to know what priority Quicken gives to reported problems. In this case it appears to have slipped below the radar. There was no ETA and then the thread was closed to further comments. It would be nice to get some feedback on this broken-out-of-the-box feature. A future request/enhancement would be to have the reports sorted alphabetically in the pinned folder, as they appear within the Reports & Graphs Center.

This post is addressing a root feature that is broken. I would even be satisfied with a response along the line of - this feature will be addressed in a future release. Perhaps, there is a 'fix' but it was not appended to this post because it has been close to further comments.

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am still seeing the behavior I reported in the past. While IMO this is definitely screwed up, I am able to get the folders I want on to the toolbar (even though the dialog for manage toolbar reports in the reports center will show something different, I.e. folders unchecked that are in fact on the toolbar.) Thus for me it is an inconvenience but also a reminder of sloppy programming that should be fixed.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• FredArthur
    FredArthur Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Bob_L

I was hoping to hear from you and hoping I missed a message with the "fix". And I wanted to confirm it was not an error on my part! Have a swimmingly wonderful summer.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @FredArthur and @Bob_L,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. I looked up the thread you mentioned. I can see the issue that was reported in QWIN-17642/CTP-819 was the screen flickering when adding/removing reports from the toolbar. That issue is marked as fixed.

The issue with checkboxes could not be replicated. Could you provide more details? Are there certain types of reports that seem to trigger this behavior? Have you noticed any patterns to this behavior (eg, does this happen only when there are a certain amount of reports in the folder? Does folder name or location have any influence? Is it always the same folders?)?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am not experiencing this issue, so it doesn't appear to be a systemic Quicken issue.

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think the problem may be not understanding how this works. That is:

Clear all report folders. Now check say 2 folders and see that yes they are now on the toolbar. Now launch manage toolbar again. My and apparently others expectation is that the two previously checked folders will be checked. They are not, and if you now close that dialog, the previous folders will be removed, I.e. the dialog does a fresh start every time, which is not what at least two of us were expecting and leads to the situations discussed??

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I cannot duplicate your issues. Manage Toolbar Reports responds exactly as expected.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your reply @Bob_L,

I tried following your instructions, but could not replicate the issue.

I started with everything unselected.

Then went back to the Manage Toolbar Reports and selected 2 folders. I clicked OK and verified that they showed up on the toolbar.

I closed out of it and relaunched it, using the button from the reports and graphs center.

When the window came up, it was showing the folders still selected.

Is there a step I'm missing, or some alternate way I'm supposed to be accessing to replicate the issue? (Note: I'm using Quicken Version R50.16)

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Yes, You did what I did, but my file does not behave the way your does.

I just created a brand new file and it works correctly. Clearly something is wrong in my working file and my original test file(also based on working file). 🙃

using 50.16

• FredArthur
    FredArthur Member ✭✭✭
    Options

R50.16

Here is a picture of my Toolbar and the Manage Toolbar Reports pop-up window.
    There is no check mark for the 'Problem' folder, nor the 'New Reports' and 'Tax Prep 2', each of which is on the Toolbar. If I scrolled up the list I would find the 'Invest 1' folder is not checked as well.
    'Universal Card' is checked and is on the Toolbar and if I scrolled up, 'HSBC' is checked - a folder that does not appear on the Toolbar.

If I click OK, the pop-up disappears, and the folder list displayed in the 'My Saved Reports' windows blinks at the speed of light! Then,

1. Each of the report folders on the toolbar are removed except for 'Universal Card'.
    2. All of my folders are visible in the My Saved Reports' windows.

When I click on "Manage Toolbar Reports" the pop-up window appears.

1. All of my folders are present
    2. As before, Universal Card is checked and on the Toolbar, but HSBC is checked and is not on the Toolbar.
    3. This time I select (check) the folders I want displayed on the Toolbar.

I click OK and the pop-up disappears, the list blinks like crazy, the folders I selected appear on the Toolbar.

When I click on "Manage Toolbar Reports" the pop-up window appears and the cycle begins as explained above; some Toolbar folders are not checked, one is and appears on the Toolbar, one is checked and does not appear on the Toolbar. Deja vu all over again.

If I restore a copy of the file the problem is as originally stated.

I am certain a developer can figure this out quickly. They just have to see what mechanism is used to apply the check mark on the Mange Toolbar Reports window.

Thank you,

Fred J.

• FredArthur
    FredArthur Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I left off with … I am certain a developer can figure this out quickly. They just have to see what mechanism is used to apply the check mark on the Mange Toolbar Reports window.

I meant to say … They just have to see what mechanism is used to apply the check mark on the Manage the Toolbar Reports and compare it to the mechanism used to populate the Toolbar with folders.

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Coming from IT myself, I doubt you're going to get a Developer to troubleshoot a single known corrupt data file…they have bigger fish to fry. Try validating and supervalidating. If that doesn't work, go back to the oldest backup you have and see if the issue exists. As a last resort to keep your data file, Quicken Support techs may be able to help you.

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I tried doing a file copy this morning, figuring I could then go through reconnecting online services if it worked. It didn't. So I then did a reinstall of Quicken and that also did not fix it. As I stated earlier, this is really more of an inconvenience than anything else. I will just have to live with it.

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

A file copy of a corrupt data file is probably going to result in a new, corrupt data file.

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with @Ralphc that a file copy would create another corrupt file. That is why I did the copy built into Quicken which-I understand-does a transaction level copy and has sometimes helped with file corruption.

• FredArthur
    FredArthur Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I did the same as @Bob_L. I used Quicken to make a copy of my file. The problem and subsequent behavior still exists.
    If I were a developer, I would dive into this because the possibility exists there is needless data redundancy: One list exists to build the Toolbar with Report folders, and another list to build the Mange Toolbar Reports window. If so, the first list is obviously intact. That same list should be used to build the Mange Toolbar Reports window. If I were designing this, I would implement the attribute that drives both these processes as a property of the report.
    I know there are auxiliary configuration files apart from the transaction file. Perhaps some report list is present outside the data file.

• FredArthur
    FredArthur Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I used the new facility, 'Share your feedback with Quicken'. @Bob_L I suggest you do the same.

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@FredArthur The fact that a new file does not show the problem tells me that it is a file corruption problem, albeit strange that we would both be experiencing the same thing.

This discussion has been closed.