Mismatch between Balance Report and current balance and holdings

Options
Esthera
Esthera Member ✭✭
edited August 2023 in Reports (Windows)

When I run a balance report as of today there is one account that the balance does not match the current balance on the left of the screen.

Balances are set to show current balance when I right click on it so the report should match it exactly. When I click on the account and show holdings, the holdings match the balance on the left but the report is still of by a significant sum.

I also tried the report as of a specific date and holdings as of that date and it still shows a different amount.

I ran the report with a monthly interval and looked at it month by month. The discrepancy starts at a smaller amount in 2022 and then as of 8/31/2022 it is the same as today.

I did a validation and super validation and ran into other problems so restored the backup from before the super validation.

Why would a report and the balance on the right show a different amount? How do I fix this? It is only in this one account. I had an issue with this account in the past and deleted and reentered it (which had me lose the history.. ) that temporarily fixed it but the issue back.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Something's wrong, that's for sure, and it certainly sounds like a data corruption problem. If you expand the Holdings screen for the Account to full screen, is the column for "Market Value" Total shown in the detail listing the same as the "Total Market Value" amount shown in the Account Status section?

One thing to try I suppose is to completely delete and manually re-enter transactions for the day prior to the problem showing up as well as the transactions for the day the error showed up to see if that fixes things. Sometimes a "bad" entry can mess you up and presumably that error can be the seed for further corruption down the line. You might also try doing a Ctrl-z in that Account, forcing it to do a recalc of the security positions.

If neither of those suggestions work then the "more robust" approach to data corruption would be to make a Copy of the data file using Quicken's Copy function, and then doing a Validate & Repair on the COPY. You will have to re-establish all files for downloading as the Copy process disconnects all Accounts in the file.

• Esthera
    Esthera Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes. If I expand the holdings screen the total market value matches the account status selection but is not even close to the amount that prints in the account balance reports.

I did a control Z and that does not help the situation.

I will try the validation on the copy later today.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

By "Balance Report" I am assuming you are referring to the Account Balances report (under Investing reports). Please correct me if I am mistaken about that and let me know specifically what the report name is.

Regardless of whether or not my assumption is correct: I suspect the culprit is the report itself, not the data in the account. The first thing I would do is to open the report and Customize it by clicking on the upper right Gear icon. Then review each tab to make sure that all of the appropriate Accounts, Categories, Payees, Tags, Securities and other criteria are selected/deselected.

Since it sounds like you are referring to an Investment account, pay special attention to the Securities tab and make sure that all Securities are checked.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Esthera
    Esthera Member ✭✭
    Options

Is there any other solution other than deleting and reentering transactions?

• Esthera
    Esthera Member ✭✭
    Options

Boatnmaniac By Balance report I mean Reports → Net worth → Account Balances

All categories and accounts are selected in the report.

It is an invenstment account and I checked securities all are selected.

What else could this be?

• Esthera
    Esthera Member ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

For the record. This issue is occuring on only this one account. All other accounts match.

• Esthera
    Esthera Member ✭✭
    Options

Lost a comment I just posted..

This gets more complicated.. I ran the report with starting date of 1/1/2000 - technically the earliest transaction I have is 2018 so this should work..

When I run the report with monthly intervals I get one balance as of 6/30/2022 (which appears to be the first time there is a discrepancy) When I change the report to end date of 6/30/2022 I get a different balance.

There is no single transaction that matches the discrepancy.

My guess would be there is some transaction after 6/30 that the date on it is wrong and is throwing off the calculation for 6/30 balances.

Any suggestions on how I can find it or them if it is more than one transaction?

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

It sounds like you are zeroing in on the problem. Am I right that the Account Balances report as of 5/31/22 agrees with the account's Holdings view with the same As of date, but on 6/30/22 they no longer agree?

If so, I would suspect a problem with some transaction in that account in May June of 2022, even if it is not the same amount as the discrepancy.

First, click on the gear at the top right of the report to customize it and check the Account Detail box. This will show the value of each security in the account. Is the discrepancy in just one security?

Is there a transaction for that security in May June 2022? Is there something unusual about it - split, spin-off, acquisition, a mutual fund Share Class conversion? A Share Class Conversion would show as a Removed of one security and one or more Added transactions for a similar security.

Let us know what you see and we will go from there.

[Edited two May references to June - q_lurker]

QWin Premier subscription
  • Esthera
    Esthera Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't know which security is off since I don't have the balances handy for that month. I guess I can download it but have not yet.

There is a stock split in June - It might be the culprit since there is something else off about that stock. When I run reports → investing → portfolio value there are two stocks that are showing up as negative portfoloio balance (how is that possible?). So now I have identified another report issue that I did not notice in the past. Both stocks that show a negative balance have a stock split and one is in June of 2022 and the other stock has a split in July of 2022. So… maybe that is it.

How do I fix this?

• Tom Young
    Options

"How do I fix this? "

You delete transactions related to the splits and fix them. The stock split wizard was changed in late 2020. The "new and improved" method made use of Return of Capital entries, (something I always objected to as Return of Capital transactions, historically, had been associated with Quicken problems), and that very well could be associated with the negative balances you're seeing.

The stock split wizard has been tweaked again between late 2020 and today and, hopefully, can make correct transactions here. So identify the transactions that report the splits, delete them and try again. Make a backup before you do anything else, just in case.

• Esthera
    Esthera Member ✭✭
    Options

OK - deleted both stock splits and re-entered them and that took care of both problems!

Thank you for your help in resolving this!

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Tom Young

You are confusing stock splits with Corporate Spinoffs here. Stock splits can sometimes get downloaded incorrectly from brokerages as seems to be the case here, but there should be no RtrnCap for a simple stock split. Spinoffs are more complex events than @Esthera is suggesting here.

• Tom Young
    Options
This discussion has been closed.