One Payee (Xfinity), but TWO categories... Help with automating!

Options

Hello!

I have two Xfinity bills that come in monthly – one is for my personal home and one is for a home I rent out. I'd love for these bills to be automated to go to their two separate categories so I don't have to go through my online statements to figure them out each time. Is there a way to do this?

In Quicken, I don't see any account numbers listed to identify the two bills and the Payee name is the same (Comcast or Comcast Comm). Account numbers also do not show up in my online banking, so I typically have to search my emails to see which bill is which.

** I'm using Quicken Deluxe 7.1.2 on a Mac.

Thank you for any help!

Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @lizao,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. If the payee, as it downloads from the financial institution, is identical for the personal property and the rental property, then you may need to use Bill Reminders or manually input the transaction into Quicken once you know what the amount you will be charged for each property is. That way, once the transactions clear the bank, Quicken will have something to match it to, which should reduce or eliminate the extra research to figure out which is which.

Another possibility is if they're actually downloading with slightly different payees and a renaming rule is changing the payees to be identical. To check for any renaming rules that may be causing that, go to Edit>Preferences>Downloaded transactions, then click the Renaming Rules button and check the list to see if there are any rules that could be changing that payee. If there are, then you would want to delete the renaming rule, or edit it so that it's no longer making the payee identical. This article provides instructions on editing renaming rules.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Can you tell by the DATE which is which? Or do they come in on the same date?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• lizao
    lizao Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello @quickenkristina,

Thank you for this! I'll have to try this out. I appreciate it!

And @NotACPA, they do come on different dates – close to the same date (and they're different amounts), but hoping to have them automated vs manually rearranging each time. :)

This discussion has been closed.